Beware the audio guru

There are a few contributors to these forums who apparently see themselves as gurus. They speak in absolutes, using words such as "always" and "never." They make pronouncements about products or techniques they’ve never heard or experienced, justifying their conclusions because contrary claims are "impossible" or "snake oil." Those who disagree are accused of being "deluded," or suffering some insurmountable bias, or attempting to further some commercial agenda. On occasion, they have taunted detractors with an appeal that they engage in a wager - one guy wanted $25,000 cash up front and an agreement drafted by lawyers. Another offered 5-to-1 odds.

I am not going to tell you who to believe. But for anyone who might be uncertain about sorting out conflicting claims here, I suggest they consider the behavior of experts in other fields. No good doctor offers a 100 percent guarantee on any treatment or surgical procedure, even if medical science suggests success. No good attorney will tell you that you have a case that positively can’t be lost, even if the law appears to be on your side. No true professional will insult you for the questions you ask, or abandon you if you seek a second opinion.

A doctor conducts his own tests. An engineer makes his own measurements. Neither will insist the burden of documentation falls upon you.

These might be details to consider as you sift through the many conflicting claims made on Audiogon. In short: Decide for yourself. Don’t let other people tell you how to think, or listen.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcleeds
🐑
amg56
@wolf_garcia How can you say such blasphemy about a fuse!

>>>>I hate to judge before all the facts are in but it appears you’ve been following the wrong sheep. 🐑 🐑 🐑 🐑🚶🏻‍♂️
Just needing to vent: If you don’t like it, don’t believe it can work, haven’t tried it, or can’t measure why it sounds like that(whatever the, "it" might be): DON’T tell me I can’t trust the ears that have kept me alive(in a number of scenarios), and allowed me to enhance the listening enjoyment and performances of a number of grateful music listeners and musicians, in a number of venues(home/hall/etc), while making a living(over a few decades). Not to mention: the countless hours of relaxation and enjoyment, that they(and music) have provided. I’ve tested and trust them WAY MORE than your opinions/beliefs! Your tastes and senses are not mine, and I refuse to miss anything, based on whatever narrow road you may be traveling(whoever you are). Whatever piques my interest: I’ll watch, listen, taste, touch, or smell it for myself, thank you.   Happy listening!
Postscript: Please, don’t get me wrong. Over the years, I’ve also used a wide variety of test equipment and measurements, to confirm, set up and test whatever my senses have registered, wherever/whenever applicable/advisable. Trust, but verify!
The term "guru" implies a one way learning process. The guru preaches and others listen and learn.

It works much better when everyone is willing and able to learn from each other.

"What kind of guru are you, anyway?"
@elizabeth spraketh thus:

Stop believing anything some other idiot writes

"Other idiot?" Hahahaha.

But overall her post is well taken. As many here may remember, I make my own speakers. I have enough measurement gear here to tell me exactly what the components are doing through the design and development phase, right up to the point I put them on a stand. But my tools don’t buy speakers. I do. Therefore I spend money which my experience, not my tools, say is worthwhile. I encourage others to do the same.

This is also the path to personal satisfaction and cost savings. Once you let go of guru's and money being at all indicative of how much musical satisfaction a product will offer, you can be an amazing audiophile on the cheap! :)

What I find interesting is how many times I’ve seen a poster come here, looking for a guru, because (as an example) they’ve tried power cable A and B and don’t know which one sounds better, so they need to come here and ask someone. Our very culture encourages us to disbelieve our own senses. If you can’t tell a difference between A and B, assuming equal reliability and safety, for goodness sakes, buy the cheaper one!

On a related note: Talking tech is a whole lot of fun, but again, it’s the experience that matters. Silk vs. ceramic dome’s, Class A vs. Class D, fun to talk about, but let’s not get caught up in it. In the end, it’s what you hear and see that should make the sale. Not the Gallium Cyanide (or whatever) transistors were just used by brand X.

There is one thing I am religious about though: Every audiophile should build their own speaker at least once in their hobby life. It is a transforming experience and our hobby will be better for it. Ready to assemble kits are inexpensive and easy to make.

Best,
E