Beware of Wayne's audio - Poor product quality & worst business ethics

I wanted to get a periphery outer ring for my VPI Scout Master. The VPI ring was around 1200 bucks and I couldn’t convince myself to spend that much for something that wouldn’t make a significant night and day difference in sound quality. So I decided to look for other cheaper alternatives and came across Wayne’s Audio. These rings are advertised as “universal rings” and seemed significantly cheaper (almost 1/2 price). I asked around on the VPI forum if anyone used these and someone replied saying he wasn’t happy with the quality. Considering its mostly a “VPI only” forum, I took his comment with a grain of salt and decided to reach out to Wayne audio regarding the “quality concern” and Wayne replied saying his products were top notch and I could return them if I wasn’t happy for any reason. I was convinced and bought the ring. The ring arrived and here are my findings:The ring was much bigger than the VPI Platter. A “centering plate” came with the ring. This plate should be used to center the ring while placing the ring on the platter and then you remove the plate. After placement, when you turn on the tt, the circular motion of platter creates a centrifugal force and since the ring ( which is not exactly the same size of the platter) is being pushed around and hits the sides of the records. Centrifugal force is the same force that makes you feel like you are being thrown out when you sit on a merry go round. If you directly look at the record while its spinning, you could see the ring moving around. I am fairly new to turntables but I assume, vibration control is very important in turntables which is why people buy expensive platforms, better feet, heavy platters and outboard motors. This subtle movement of the ring (being thrown around by the circular motion of the platter) creates micro vibrations by hitting the record. You can clearly see this while the record is spinning. Though the spinning ring looks really cool, it defeats the purpose of anti-vibration and in my humble opinion creates more issues than providing any benefit. To add to this, there was also a small dent on the inside of the ring.My 2 cents - If you are looking for a ring, spend the extra money and find the perfectly sized ring for your platter, probably the one that your tt manufacturer makes. Universal rings sound like a great idea, but in my experience they worsen your sound instead of improving them.When I was in the market to buy a ring, I couldn’t find much reviews on Wayne’s ring, all I saw was cool YouTube videos. I was misled by those videos and ended up buying one. In my humble opinion, you are better off with no ring, than a ring that’s not the same size as your platter.

I reached out to Wayne's audio for a refund. This is where things got a little complicated. I reached out to him with pics and videos explaining why this will not work for my tt explaining the reasons above. I was thinking he'd charge me for 15% restocking fee but he never said anything about a restocking fee and reluctantly agreed for the ring to be sent back. He also emailed me the address the ring should be sent to. I packaged the ring and sent it back to him through USPS. The tracking said the ring was delivered to him but I didnt hear back from him. When I reached out, he said he didnt receive the ring. Although I sent him proof that the ring was sent to the right address and was delivered he said it was probably stolen from his front porch and would not refund the money. After a lot of back and forth emails and phone calls I was able to get 50% of my money back. So in the end, I paid 50% of the cost for a product that I don't even have with me lol. However I learned 2 valuable lessons from this whole experience:

1. Never send anything without "signature reqd" option.
2. When a reputable company sells a product for a higher price, there is probably a good reason behind it. Don't discount that and go for a cheaper alternative as you may at loss in the end. Now I believe a company like VPI would have never done this to me.
Ag insider logo xs@2xaudiofool1982

Showing 11 responses by audiofool1982

No, he said its a universal ring and it works with all platters. Thats why I believe, his design is wrong
He has a website and regularly advertises on audiogon and usaudiomart. So I assumed he is a legit dealer. My bad.
@jetter  and thecarpathian, yes you guys are totally right. It was foolish on my part to fall for this. Not only do I not have ring now, also lost my money and shipping cost to top it all off. 

Now I'll be more careful and this is a lesson for me thats for sure. The intention of my article is to warn others.
Response to Wayne's audio:

I sent you the USPS tracking number. If you plug in this tracking number on their website, it will only show which city and zip code it was delivered to (for security reasons, they dont display the name and exact address of the receiver). This is not something I am making up, anyone can vouch for this.

However, if you take the tracking number to a USPS location, and give it to a supervisor, they can pull up the name of the person it was sent to and the exact address. I did this on my end and the supervisor confirmed that it was sent to Wayne's address. I asked Wayne to do the same, but he refuses to do it and still claims I sent it to the wrong address.

I don't know what else to say. I am sure he is refusing to do this because it will prove that he is a fraud. For what its worth, if he feels all this negative publicity is worth the 350 dollars he cheated off of me, so be it.

The purpose of this writeup is to have the future wayne's audio customers think twice before buying Wayne's audio products. 
When I return an item to a manufacturer especially when the item is faulty (in this case, the dent), I didn't think it was my responsibility to pay
1. Return shipping
2. Insure the item again
3. Request signature

Usually the manufacturer sends a return label and I ship it. However in this case, because I wanted a refund, I acknowledged to pay for return shipping. I've not had any bad experiences with USPS so didnt even really think it was necessary to re-insure the item again.

What I didnt realize at that point was - Wayne's audio could be a fraud and lie about receiving the item. Had I known, I'd have requested signature proof. Again a valuable, expensive lesson learned. And hope others learn from my experience too.
I told him that I did NOT add signature request. Because I didnt expect this would happen. Infact that was our back and forth argument. He kept asking me why I did not add signature required. 

The fact that I did not add "signature required" helped him to carry out this scam.
Yes, its a flawed product and thats the point I was trying to make and wanted to return the product for a refund for that reason.
@barts I asked for the supervisor to print it out on my end. She said she wouldn't be able to give me a print out, but she said if Wayne goes to his post office and just gives them the tracking number, they should just be able to read out the name and address it was sent to. He is refusing to do that (not sure why). But you are right, I never asked him if he filed a police report. I am going to send an email today asking if he filed a police report. If he is not willing to do that, that clearly means he is trying to hide something. And yes if he regularly ships and receives stuff world wide, I am sure he must have a good handle on these things.

@zigggi - GREAT QUESTION! lets see if he can come with an answer.

@mammothguy54 if he is not dubious, why is he refusing to go to the post office to give them the tracking number and confirm the address? After several text messages and calls with him, he still believes I sent it the wrong address. Infact I can give anyone the tracking number to make sure it was sent to him (they can confirm)

I sent him an email yesterday about why he hasnt reported a theft to the police, if he believes its a theft. he hasnt responded back and he blocked my phone number. What more proof do I want to believe that he is a fraud.
Yes I am going to make a complaint against better business bureau.

I got this message today from Usaudiomart (Canuckaudiomart)'s moderators. They are siding with Wayne's audio and they deleted my review that posted for the transaction.

"Please do not use the forums to air your beef publicly with Wayne's Audio. We made our decision regarding your dispute with them. We consider this matter settled given the circumstances both parties presented to us. You seem only intent on trying to harm the seller's reputation any way you can. We cannot allow you to besmirch another seller's reputation without proof of wilful wrongdoing. If we see any other public attempt to discredit the seller on our site, we will take a more permanent approach to prevent this from happening."