Better story teller than Edmund Fitzgerald?

There was a thread on A'gon about the most perfect song.  We had reasons for picking various, but for me it was Gordong Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Perhaps it featured an aspect of song writing that no one else much cared for:  A deep and detailed story in the song.

So I ask you, A'goners, what songs are as good or better at telling a story of a historical event? 

erik_squires

James McMurtry has many great stories inside of many good songs. One that comes to mind tonight is “Carlos and Ruby“, wow.

Mrs. McGrath, an Irish folk song set during the Peninsular War of the early 19th century. The song tells the story of a woman whose son enters the British Army and returns seven years later having lost his legs to a cannonball while fighting against Napoleon presumably at the Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro (fought between 3 and 5 May 1811). The general theme of the song is one of opposition to war.

I especially enjoy Springsteen's version because with his voice and the overall tone he imparts on the song is quite moving.

Grateful Dead- Casey Jones

Warren Zevon - Boom Boom Mancini

Neil Young - Cortez the Killer

“Paradise by the Dashboard Lights” by the late Mr. M. Loaf.  Very clever lyrics many of us can relate to 😁