Better sound quality than the I-pod?

I'm finally ready to make the jump to an IPod like device. I've heard some say that though the IPod rules in terms of usability, there are better units out there for sound quality.

I'll probably get a larger disk size so I can record uncompressed for the best sound quality. I'll put up with some minor inconveniences to get a superior sounding unit. I've heard good things about the Sony's, Creative Labs and others for sound quality. Does anyone know which brands sound best?
larryb
Hi - This for Brooks question -

Just upgraded from a G4 to a G5. On the G4 I sent a USB signal to a Waveterminal, then took the SPDIF out from the Waveterminal to the DAC. Now with the G5 I use a Toslink directly to the DAC.

After a few days my preliminary impression is that the sound of the Toslink (Wireworld 5 SuperNova) is more detailed than the USB (which is awesome). It sounds a bit drier (sorry I don't have a better word) - maybe this reflects the lack of cable coloration or?

Anyhow both are very satisfying, musical solutions with the optical having the theoretical advantage that it is immune to RFI etc and electrically isolates the DAC from the computer which can't be a bad thing.

BTW I use Apple Lossless compression
Ipod connected to a Krell connected to a Thiel.

Wow o wow o wow

Sorry couldn't resist.
If you want to optimize the sound of the ipod get a autocharger and connect it to a jumpstart system with a 12 sla battery. Transforms the unit to a real sleeper using the headphone output with remote control through navipro ex.

Carlton
You'd have to be a real contrarian not to get an iPod. It has the slickest and easiest to use interface (both software and hardware) and the most accessories. It's sound quality is very good for this type of product and can be improved to excellent if you take the time and effort.
Whether you use an iPod or another unit, the quality of your sound is most easily enhanced by adding high quality accessories. You will get the most bang for the buck with higher quality headphones, then a separate headphone amp, and finally a better headphone cable.

To add an amp, there is an aftermarket cable for the iPod that allows you to use the iPod line-out rather than that lower-quality headphone jack. (the jack is only accessible via the dock with the standard equipment). This lets you go out of the iPod into an external amp such as a Headroom which will give you much better sound quality.

There is an excellent web site devoted to headphones and music players such as the iPod: head-fi.com -- check it out if you want to really jazz up your personal listening experience.