Best way to organize 6000 albums?

I currently have about 2000 albums arranged alphabetically. I purchased a collection that was randomly numbered ( each new album owner purchased received the next available number ) and came with a DBASE file as an index. I have a few thousand in boxes gathering dust. I am wondering if anyone has ingeneous ideas as to how to have access to all albums and make them easy to browse through. The least amount of space used the better. I guess I prefer parallel to the wall as it is easier to flip through them and see the covers ( for guests ). I'm thinking of a vertical rack shaped like the ride the zipper with rows of album storage trays, it can be rolled vertically through placing each row at the appropriate level ?? any ideas welcome...any diy out there in this vain.
drguayo

Showing 1 response by jwc37

I have 5000+ LPs, 1000+ CDs and hundreds of books, that I organize using 3x5 library cards (started in the '60s). I have my LPs on shelves I built using 3/4" plywood, the main unit is 9ft. tall by 6+ft wide on which I have approximately 2300 LPS. The rest are on similar shelves round the room (dedicated to music only!). I have the records spine out as books and filed alphabetically by record label and in the numerical sequence put on each record by the record company. I add nothing to the record. Each recorded work on each record is given one 3x5 card. If a record has only one work by one composer only one card is typed. If a record has several works by the same or by different composers, a separate card is typed for each work and/or by each composer. All 3x5 cards are filed alphabetically by composer, or in the case of Jazz or Popular/Rock by name or group. If someone asks me if I have a specific work I can find it in the card file and then go to the stacks and locate it immediately. Most of my recordings are classical and without this system I would, and have, "lost" recordings or I cannot remember if I have a particular recording. With my system I can tell within a very short time if I have it,who performed it, how long it is in minutes and seconds and the format (331/3rpm,Mono etc)My system works for me because I started when I had only a few recordings and I have kept it up to date adding a 3x5 card for new records, scores, CDs and books. I have thousands of 3x5 cardsnow but I can find anything and everything in my collection almost instantly but without it many items would be "lost" forever!
Happy listening.