Best way to aktively drive Linn Ninkas

Hello all. I have a pair of Linn Ninkas driven by a Rotel integrated amp. I plan to upgrade to seperate preamp and amps and would like to aktively drive them with Linn amps.

There are lots of ways to go and I'm looking for some advice. I probably will only use 4 channels vs 6 channels for budget reasons. So I could buy 2 LK85/100/140s for around 800 used. Does anyone have any feedback on the performance of these 3 amps? I'm more concerned with sound quality comparison as they are all probably powerful enough.

The next idea is a 5125 using 4 channels and leaving the fifth for a possible future move to multi-channel listening. I've seen these around for about 1200.

Or, maybe 2 2250s. I'm not sure what these go for or how they compare to 5125s. I tend to think that the 5125 and 2250 are much newer than the LKs and must be more modern and sound better.

Lastly, I could by a new Chakra 4 channel amp. This is by far the most expensinve, but probably also the best amp.

I will probably try to find a late Kairn for the preamp. Overall amp budget is 2000 max. After finding the amps I'll look for the cards to match.

Thanks in advance!
bmdduck

Showing 2 responses by marko888

Bmdduck,

It is all subjective for sure...in the store my dealer works at, other salespeople like the 2250, but my guy does not. He finds the 2250 to sound BIG, but less sweet than the others he prefers. He never liked the 5125 at all. He does describe the Chakras as "stunning!"

It is personal preference for sure. Try to listen before you buy if at all possible...and ejoy the shopping...as it is often the fun part, especially when shopping the used market.

cheers

Mark
Hello,
I'm working towards the same setup, and I'm going for LK140's as per my dealers suggestion.

He is not a fan of the AV amps for pure stereo. He also says the LK140 is MUCH better than the LK85. I go for quality over quantity, and listen to most genre's.
Best to worst:
1 - Chakras $$$$$
2 - Klouts $$$$
2 - LK140's $$$
3 - 2250's $$$$
4 - LK85 $$
5 - LK100 $
6 - 5125 $$

Cards take time to locate, so start watching for them to come up as soon as you know what amps you are going to go with. I have a bass card to fit Klout/LK100 if you go that way.

good luck!
Mark