Best very small Speakers (at any price)?

I'm building a portable system that will fit in a small equipment suitcase. I'm using a 47 labs Gaincard (50w/ch) amp (that has stepped attenuators to eliminate the need for a preamp) and some yet to be named portable cd player. Has anyone heard some very small (maybe 9"x6"x6" or less) speakers that blow you away? thanks
mg123

Showing 1 response by hifinut604

IMHO: If your "to be named" portable CD player is of the "Discman" variety, it really doesn't matter what kind of speakers you get, or whether or not you use your $4k Gaincard amp with it. I've listened to a portable Sony Discman (a high quality one with even a optical digital out) in my main system (Sim I-5/Merlin TSM-SE) and the Discman knocks about $5k (80%) off the sound of my amp/speakers. Using it as a transport to feed a cheapo Soundstream DAC-1 knocked about $4k off the sound. My CD "reference" in this case would be a Naim CD5. If cost is really no object, I would suggest you pick up the 47 Labs CD player/DAC (or at least one of those slick portable DVD players) as well before you think about the matching speakers, or the only thing that will be "blown away" is your money. As for speaker picks, my choices would be Dynaudio Audience 40 or Totem Acoustic Mites. The Dynaudio Contour 1.1s are better, but probably too big for your needs. The Gallo Acoustic Micro/Sub (www.roundsound.com)might be a viable option. I would also point out that there are no speakers with dimensions of 9"x6"x6" that can possibly go below 100Hz, so only the Gallo combo could give you any kind of bass.