Best value in a HO movig magnet $150-$200

Have a Rega turntable with a shim for use with other brand cartridges. Need a high output MM at least 4-5 mV output that will be compatible with the Rega table P3-24 and arm.

Does Audiotechica or Ortofon still offer good value at that price point in MM's?? I will eventually sell the table, but want to enjoy the LP's I have while I still own the Rega.
sunnyjim

Showing 3 responses by mofimadness

The Denon DL-110 is an excellent choice, but the OP states he needs a cartridge with at least 4mv-5mv output. The Denon is only 1.6mv.

I really like the Ortofon 2M series. If you could swing a tad more money, the 2M Blue would be a great choice. The 2M Red is only $99.00 and I love mine. I have it on a very expensive rig and it really shines. Color me impressed.

You might be able to find a used Audio Technica AT150MLX for around your budget. A little harder to setup, but a wonderful cart.
Jim...I took a look at the ad on E-Bay for the 2M Blue from Bill (Williamthakker)in Germany. It looks the same as all the others. The ad shows it with it's stylus guard in place, maybe that's what threw you?

I've ordered several cartridges over the years from Bill in Germany and he is the real deal. Great seller.

The Ortofon 2M Red and Blue have an output of 5.5mv. The Bronze and Black are 5mv.
Jim...The 2M Red has an elliptical stylus and the 2M blue has a nude elliptical stylus. Same engine and body.

You can start with the Red and replace the stylus assembly with the Blue and have the same thing as buying the Blue upfront. That's what I plan to do when I need to replace/upgrade from my Red.

The Bronze and Black allow the same thing. Both of these have an upgraded body and stylus shape over the Red/Blue series.

There is a seller that I found for a used 2M Bronze that has about 150 hours on it that the seller wants around $250 (it retails for around $425). If you PM me, I can give you the details, if you are interested. No relation to the seller, just passing on a great deal.