Best used universal transport/player for $1,000?

Hello, I am interested in upgrading my transport. I currently have a Parasound belt transport & the DVD-A bug has bitten me. I am looking for a smooth sounding transport to use with my Benchmark DAC. The rest of my system is VR4 jr's, BAT VK-60, MIT & DH Labs cables.
fishwater
good luck!

I just dont know of any good universal transports. everything is still redbook (for a dedicated transport only) that I know of. Other than the big guns of EMM and the like...and those are CD/SACD transports.

I'm wondering if a hard drive based solution for high-res PCM is a better option. and if so...then what? someone needs to make a high-end HDD based, wireless audio appliance that will play 24bit files. again, trasnport ONLY.
I know of a bunch of 16bit things like this. I think I just read a review of 24bit model from someone..but it was not quite what i'm after either.

I think a cheap PC with a 24bit sound card (digi out) into a DIP box, or BIG BEN or something...would be the rig to beat.
I am not concerned with video or the internal DAC's b/c I will use it as a standalone transport. I am more concerned about the playback qualities, with my Parasound transport there is a smmother presentation that sounds more analog. I have often wondered if it is the transport or the belt drive but there is something distinct that I really love about it. I am looking to get the same sound but be able to play DVDA's.
I bought a Verastarr Modded Denon 3910 a few months ago and I'm very pleased with both the audio and video...seems to be a keeper
I should admit that I don't own a Denon. I paid up and bought the Onkyo DV SP1000 after auditioning the Denon, Marantz DV9500 and McCormack UDP-1. The Marantz and Onkyo tied, but the Onkyo had an IEEE-1394 interconnect, so I bought it. Used the best you will find is about $1300. Never looked at the Pioneer. They are all really good though, to be honest. Good luck.
I second the 3910!! Got one and never looked back... the 2 best ones in this price range are teh 3910 and 59avi, with each having its pros/cons:

Denon 3910
-pros
* Best Picture Quality south of the 5910
* Outstanding Build quality, heavy, excellent loading mechanism
* Superb Audio, only surpassed by the Onkyo SP1000 and Denon 5910
* Lots of audio control (Time delays, LFE control, etc) for SACD/ DVD-A...
- Cons
* Costs more than the 59avi
* can produce Macroblocking in certain displays

Pioneer 59avi
-pros
* Excellent Picture Quality (almost as good as 3910)
* Can output 480i via HDMI, thus ability to use external scaler
* can be had for $300 or so less than 3910
-cons
* Build quality/Loading mechanism not as robust
* Audio slightly inferior to 3910
* Not as many audio setup options as 3910

Either way you go you will be happy, but I personally think the 3910 is the slightly better machine overall....
Denon 3910, you can get it modded as you grow. That DAC's in it are already pretty good, you may not need/want your other.