Best used speakers under $3,500?

I'm starting from scratch in a room that is 21 x 13 x 8, looking to create a system for both music and home theatre, with the music foused on jazz, classical and classic rock.

It's likely I'll spend under $3,500 for the front speakers, and to maximize value, I may buy used speakers from one of the many reputable sellers who list here. (after I chose speakers I'll buy electronics that match well with them)

I'm creating a list of speakers to audition. Already on the list is Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, which can be bought, used, within my likely budget.

What other speakers would you sugget I audition and what are your experiences with those choices?

Thanks
jonsher

Showing 2 responses by pubul57

At $3,500 used, you might be able to get the Vandersteen 3A Signatures with two pairs of their 2wq subwoofers. The addition of the subwoofers would extend the frequency range a bit,improve the midrange clarity and dynamics of the main speaker, and allow your amp to better control the main speakers (the 2Wqs have built-in 300 Watt Amps to produce those power hungry low notes). Note, they are not artificially boosted in the midrange to create false presense. If you are used to hearing speakers that have boosted mid-hi's you may mistake this for a soft, "boring" sound - they are actually accurate.
I think Vandersteen does have a soundstage and sweet spot issue based on vertical alignment. Being time & phase coherent, this aspect of their performance does necessitate the proper height with a reasonable window (one foot)and distance to get the best performance. On the horizontal plane this factor should be less important, but could become a bit of an issue if people are really spread wide where the distance of each listener to the speakers is really significant - the distance to the speakers does impact on the required tilt for proper t&p aligment - so it could be an issue in some setting, but not most.