Best used speakers under $3,500?

I'm starting from scratch in a room that is 21 x 13 x 8, looking to create a system for both music and home theatre, with the music foused on jazz, classical and classic rock.

It's likely I'll spend under $3,500 for the front speakers, and to maximize value, I may buy used speakers from one of the many reputable sellers who list here. (after I chose speakers I'll buy electronics that match well with them)

I'm creating a list of speakers to audition. Already on the list is Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, which can be bought, used, within my likely budget.

What other speakers would you sugget I audition and what are your experiences with those choices?

Thanks
jonsher

Showing 1 response by pmi_guy

I've been on a similar search. There are many great jazz speakers out there. The tough part of the equation, for me, is classic rock. Too many speakers are overly harsh for those classic recordings. Some sound a bit slow, lacking pace. Some have no real bass. Some have deep bass but no "kick" when the drummer kicks the bass drum. Some have pin-point imaging but lose that when you move a couple of feet from the "sweet spot".

I did audition the VR4 jr's but the audition didn't go well. I was not impressed at all with the imaging. After 20 minutes of the dealer telling me how awesome the speakers were, I noticed that the wires were disconneted from one of the lower units. Well, that certainly improved the imaging but still the bass wasn't right for rock. The bass drum was almost non-existent. I moved directly in front of one speaker and suddenly I could feel the kick of the drum. The dealer reluctantly agreed and blamed the room. Other than that, I liked the speakers a lot. What do audiogoners think? Is there enough bass punch for rock with these speakers?

The speakers I like the most, so far, are the Totem Winds. Too expensive but beautiful sound and plenty of bass punch.

I'm almost at the point of upgrading my small floorstanders and also upgrading my sub, but that's another discussion.

BTW, Opalchip is right on. All of these speakers sound different. The trick is finding a sound that works for you and also works in your room and with your components. Of course, you can also change your components but that's another discussion also.