Best Used Speaker Under $4,000 w/ Respectable Lows

I was once a member of the audiophile community (Some of the older Audiogon members may remember me) but had to step out for a bit do to life changes. I am thinking about stepping back into it in a limited fashion with the system configuration listed below. I would love opinions on what used, $4000 or less, speaker would best suit the following system. Note that I would prefer NOT to bi-wire and would love something with a respectable low end (A full range speaker would be nice). I tend to treasure transparency, neutrality, high end extension, speed, DYNAMICS, and tight driver control / integration in my speakers and leave bloom/coloring/musicality to the amp. I also prefer speakers that play very well at low volumes with medium power amps. Thanks for the help!

Transport: PC with Windows 7 / WAV Files / Foobar / Lynx AES16 PCI digital I/O card

Dac & Preamp: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC

Interconnects & Speaker Cable: Nordost SPM

Amp: Sim Audio Moon W 5.3
drhst20

Showing 1 response by tubegroover

"I tend to treasure transparency, neutrality, high end extension, speed, DYNAMICS, and tight driver control / integration in my speakers and leave bloom/coloring/musicality to the amp. I also prefer speakers that play very well at low volumes with medium power amps."

Transparency
Neutrality
High end extension
Speed
Dynamic (contrasts)
Play at low volume without losing the above

The latest Merlin VSM-MM or MX might be what you are looking for. They certainly excell in all the areas of your criteria, check the archives and reviews. You will get the best customer support in the business whether you buy used or new. Bobby Palkovic is always there to help you every step of the way. In any event you should not buy anything without listening first.

There are many speakers that might suit you and there is nothing clear cut, one man's love is another's loathe.
Speaker choice is a very personal choice, more so than anything else in the chain IMHO. You'll get plenty of suggestions but you really have to do your homework. Good Luck and welcome back!