Best Used Speaker Under $4,000 w/ Respectable Lows

I was once a member of the audiophile community (Some of the older Audiogon members may remember me) but had to step out for a bit do to life changes. I am thinking about stepping back into it in a limited fashion with the system configuration listed below. I would love opinions on what used, $4000 or less, speaker would best suit the following system. Note that I would prefer NOT to bi-wire and would love something with a respectable low end (A full range speaker would be nice). I tend to treasure transparency, neutrality, high end extension, speed, DYNAMICS, and tight driver control / integration in my speakers and leave bloom/coloring/musicality to the amp. I also prefer speakers that play very well at low volumes with medium power amps. Thanks for the help!

Transport: PC with Windows 7 / WAV Files / Foobar / Lynx AES16 PCI digital I/O card

Dac & Preamp: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC

Interconnects & Speaker Cable: Nordost SPM

Amp: Sim Audio Moon W 5.3
drhst20

Showing 1 response by earflappin

I suggest you check out the Abbey speaker designed by Dr. Earl Geddes. They are amongst the best speakers I've heard in my 30+ years in this hobby/obsession. When you take into account price/performance I put them at the top of the list. They punch all of the buttons you listed, except being full range. They are flat to 50hz and then roll off at 12db per octave. You'll need a sub or two to get the low end. IMHO, after having owned several pairs of full range speakers, the best way to get flat low frequency performance in most real rooms is multiple subs located asymmertically in the room.

While I've not heard the Merlins or the Salk's I can say they also have a strong following and appear to be a great value.