Best used solid state amp for Energy C8 1500 Max

My left and right mains are Energy C8's. These speakers handle a max wattage of 300 at 8 ohms and 93db room efficiency. The impedance range is listed as 8 ohms nominal - 4.5 ohms minimal. The Frequency responce is 28Hz - 25KHz(+/-3db). My listening room has dimensions of 17 feet wide and 19 feet long with a 10 foot ceiling. My preamplifier is a B&K AVP-3090 and I use Monster M550I interconnects. My CD/DVD transport is a Pioneer DV-414. I listen to primarily large orchestral music that emphasizes Brass. I am a tuba player so I am very critical when it comes to bass. I also want a solid state amp that has a nuetral to slightly warm midrange and treble. Prefering more of a warm sounding trebel and midrange. I have narrowed my choices down to a B & k Reference 2220, Bryston 4B-ST, Aragon 8008BB, Classe CA-200, Sunfire Stereo Amp (300 Watt), Rotel RB-1090. Since I must buy this amp used there is no way that I can audition these amps in my system. I like the Bryston's 20 year transferable warranty, but if it is going to sound cold in my system I do not want it. Which amp would you recommend?
128x128subsonic

Showing 1 response by porschecab

Subsonic -

There is one amplifier I would highly recommend that was no where on your list. I like Bryston amplifier, but you should not pass up the Citation 7.1. It is a Madrigal product and is a 4 channel amplifier. 150x4 into 8 ohms, you have many options, from BIAMPING the C8's, which is a great idea, or bridging the amp to get 450x2, and this is a very high current amp! These can be had for about $1,095 plus shipping. That is VERY tough to pass up.

I have owned Rotel (1090), Parasound (2200 & 2003), NAD (2400 & 2700), Bryston (3B, 4B, and 7B's) and most recently, the McIntosh MC352 and MC-1000. I have used the Energy Veritas 1.8's and 2.8's, but currently B&W 801III's.
The point, after all of this, the Citation is as good as any of these and is a REAL bargain!

Resale is incredible as well!

My three cents!

Dan