Best Used Phono preamp around $2500

Guys looking to get back into analog- Looking to start with a phono preamp as I have a Tech. SL1200 MK2 with KAB upgrades for the moment to use- What is the best used preamp around $2500- I have a tube pre and amp- thanks
fluffers

Showing 3 responses by thom_at_galibier_design

One thing that gets overlooked in the Heron is how good its MM stage is. 

In my experience, the MC stage has too much of an s-s signature.  Others will no doubt differ, but even when viewed as an MM stage, it's a great value. 

I run my Heron into the MM inputs, using one of several step-up transformers:  an Air Tight PH-1, a Hagerman step-up (Cinemags are inside), and  Quicksilver .

If you're struggling with your Heron (thinking there's untapped potential), it's worthwhile give it a try this way.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier Design
Update - post Audiofest (06-Oct).

A lot of updates to the system over the past 4 months:  (1) the new NiWatt amplifiers, (2) the pre-production prototype of the Eiger rim drive turntable, and (3) all new cabling (some litz cables I'm developing).

All of these developments, in combination with RMAF visitors presented a perfect opportunity to revisit my assumptions. 

Well, the short story is that I've gained new respect for the MC stage in the Heron, and it is currently the gain stage of choice.  My Air Tight (Tamura) step-ups, along with some very nice Cinemag transformers are on the shelf. 

The transformers are close, but in comparison with the Heron's internal MC stage, they don't deal with fast transients as well (a bit of hashy overshoot,in comparison).

Disclaimer:  as a manufacturer, I have accommodation pricing to the Heron.

In my humble opinion, the next step up (no pun intended) is the likes of EMIA and Alnic, but YMMV.  No association or financial interest, other than knowing Jeffrey Jackson (EMIA).

Cheers,
Thom @  Galibier Design
The saga continues.  As I mentioned above, I’ve been playing with interconnects.  They are in general, very low capacitance (about 15pF per foot). 

The one lagging item has been the shielded IC between the step-up transformer and the input to the Herron.  Getting this architecture "right" has been a bit of a challenge.

Over the weekend, I came up with two configurations.  95% of the "hashy overshoot" reported (running into the step-ups) is gone.  This was clearly a resonance interaction between the inductance of the transformers and the capacitance of the interconnects.

I’m now back to running the step-ups.  To my ears, there's more dynamic subtlety ("bloom") with no down side, but as usual, YMMV.

At the end of the day however, the Herron’s MC gain stage is very good, and while you can start with it, exploring step-up trannies might ultimately suit your tastes and your system better.

The Herron sets a very high baseline, and presents a good platform for experimentation as well.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier Design