Best Used Phono preamp around $2500

Guys looking to get back into analog- Looking to start with a phono preamp as I have a Tech. SL1200 MK2 with KAB upgrades for the moment to use- What is the best used preamp around $2500- I have a tube pre and amp- thanks
fluffers

Showing 6 responses by bpoletti

If there is a Herron VTPH-2 for sale around $2500, there is no need to look further. I have one. I have never heard anything better. Period.

I have no financial interest in Herron Audio.
Yogi - Almost all of my listening is to classical music, mostly from the late 1800s to modern day.

In my system, the Herron VTPH-2 has no sonic signature. It is extremely clean sounding top to bottom. Very detailed. It is not warm or bloated, nor is it dry or etched. It is neutral. Period.

The Herron is dead silent. All the music comes from a totally black background.

Instrument textures are there without being over-emphasized. They are just part of the performance.

The soundstage and imaging do NOT bring the musicians into the room. Instead, for me, the listener is transported to the original venue and time of the recording.

The VTPH-2 just does everything correctly.
I did not have the Quicksilver in my home system. Heard it in a couple of other systems. I don't think different tubes would help bring it up to a competitive level with a Herron VTPH-1, much less a VTPH-2.
Yogi - Because I've heard the Herron VTPH-2 in a LOT of other systems and they ALL outperformed the Quicksilver and every other phono stage.

In MY zip code, it's called objective evaluation.
And Yogi, why would I have under-performing equipment in my system? Face it. The quicksilver just isn't in the same league as the Herron.