Best used or new DAC under $3500

What would be the best DAC for under $3500, new or used? I currently use the Chord Dave and I LOVE it. However, I'm looking to downgrade to save some dough. Some reference points:

1) Yggdrasil:  Sold it as the staging was too narrow/flat and it seemed a little lifeless
2) Ayre QB-9 DSD: Feel its a bit too bright/tizzy - at this point I'm done trying Sabre DACs.

Can anyone recommend a DAC that is not a mainstream sabre chip based DAC? I dont mind it if its an older generation or vintage DAC either - Just something I can get for under $3500. I don't want a discussion to defend Sabre DACs please.

Thanks!

jozurr
Hi Wig,
Another excellent choice but what makes you sure that you’ll prefer it compared to the BP (which you describe as fantastic) ? I’m not saying you wouldn’t but how do you know?
Charles
Having just gone through this, I ended up with an Ayre qb-9 DSD.  I know I can sell this and not lose any money should it not live up to my expectations.  

I looked at the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ but didn't want to deal with some of the support issues I've recently read about.  I'm intrigued by MQA but it's not a deal breaker.

I also considered the Chord Hugo TT but my local dealer (who interestingly enough is also the Mytek dealer) wasn't very accommodating and I didn't feel it was worth 2x the cost of what I paid for the qb-9.

My experiences with the Ayre gear is quite different than the OP's but that is irrelevant.  We hear what we hear.

@ david_ten

You know how it is when you have your heart set on something and needed to follow thru; the BP is a very good Dac too and the shortest I've owned a component.

Wig
Supposedly the Yggdrasil also uses something no other DAC uses:

AD5791

It’s also not an audio d/a converter, but one (it said) used for things like missile guidance circuits.
Now it won’t have the good audio specs as say the last best PCM1704 R2R/multibit 24bit specific audio dac has, but if this matters, who knows?
Best to if your up to it compare the two with their data sheets.

Yggdrasils AD5791 http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD5791.pdf

Burr Browns (TI): PCM1704: http://www.qlshifi.com/jszl/PCM1704.pdf

Cheers George
Best to if your up to it compare the two with their data sheets.

Hi George. I'll leave the technical dissection to you if you don't mind. I have looked at the AD5791 previously, but can't say I completely understand it. By all means, let me know how the two DAC chips compare. Besides, isn't it you who states that the chip itself is only a small percentage of the overall sound. I'm led to believe the implementation of the chip and rest of the analog circuit is paramount. 
Hi Wig,
David is right,  follow your heart 😊. Wig I'd like to know the differences you hear between these 2 highly regarded DACs. 
C
Wig:
I agree with the heart. I also think sometimes there is just too much gear too choose from especially in digital. Many choices that would all fit one's needs and price ranges.
Gwalt
Gwalt, 
Absolutely agree that there's an abundance of truly excellent audio components available in the current market. 
Charles 
I always tell my Audiophile friend this is the best time to be audiophile , because they are plenty of good dacs, sacd players, Speakers , and many more to choose from , price is reachable.
Hi,

We have A/B 72 different digital front ends and we just ordered the Soekris 1541. After the unit is broken in I will give you my honest impressions. I own an audio distribution company and rarely take on new lines but I am interested to hear the Soekris 1541 compared to my reference dacs.

Cheers,
Add Titans Audio Lab Helen before a reasonable DAC, such as an Arcam D33, and you can compete with the top fliers.
Another vote for a PS Audio DAC with Bridge II.  I have the older PWD mkII with Bridge II, and I think it is outstanding.  The bridge II is a really interesting piece - send data via ethernet and the bridge II card then plays the music.  Partner it with Roon software for a winning combination. The combo is far better than USB in my opinion.
Fairly certain I know which dac is the best under $3500.
@nitewulf 

And I'm fairly certain I know what you know in this regard :)

I've read it could be considered the best DAC under $5000. :)

@ jond

Will have to keep you in suspense until next week but it will be a game changer in Redbook play back with NOS or filtering...

Wig
@gdhal, yes possibly, I’d say it’s the best dac (depending on your taste: r2r/delta-sgma, OS/NOS) within the 2K - 6K range. We all know, money doesn’t equate to quality of course. I also know what you have obviously, due to the other thread and I’m keeping that out of competition as I’ve not heard it, but I would love to hear the Yggy (if anyone in Brooklyn or nearby wants to host, I’ll bring beer :) ) but aside from that, what I’ve heard within this range includes Mytek Brooklyn, T+A DAC8 DSD, and multitudes of affordable to uber dacs at various shows (hard to judge of course given the short duration as well as music selection)

I have had the Perfectwave DAC MK2 for the last few years, prior to that HRT Music Streamer + (surprisingly good for the price!), and the Peachtree Decco as a dac/preamp before that. Of all those, the PWD 2 was really the best when on NativeX mode. Honestly in OS modes, there really wasn’t much difference between this dac and the HRT, granted my speakers at the time weren’t that revealing, still they sounded pretty much the same. On NativeX, yes, PWD 2 pulled ahead, it just sounds very organic and non-fatiguing, enjoyable and engaging in this mode. Once it started having some issues however, I bought a CA Dacmagic Plus as a stop gap to replace it. I was looking to upgrade the PWD2 anyway, but didn’t wanna buy something too quick.

The CA Dacmagic isn't near the quality of the PWD M2, its very high res, but ultimately fatiguing. And while the details are there, the micro details, attack/decay, sustain, separation of instruments within the stage, all of the characters were not really as good. But it's also pretty cheap. For what it is, I think it's a great device that can do it all.

But.

After a lot of research I basically knew I wanted to buy a NOS r2r ladder dac, DSD/MQA weren’t important for me, as my existing, huge digital library mostly consists of flacs: from 16 bits to hi res (24/192). I wanted a true balanced dac with usb and optical inputs and a remote (nice to have). The Yggy intrigued me, but being an OS dac I knew it wouldn’t really be "my thing". I basically settled on either the Metrum Pavane Level 3 or the MSB Analog. When I contacted Metrum, basically they told me: Try the Onyx, you will be surprised.

And oh my god am I surprised! This level of fidelity at this price point is unthinkable to me. When people are changing thousand dollar power cables to "extend sound stage height" (how about raking the speakers back a bit ;) ), or cables to EQ the sound signature...I’m sitting hear grinning from ear to ear at my collection of music.

Kudos to Metrum, they deserve every success they get. I hope they become a huge brand.
Wig,
very special 😊. Looking forward to your initial listening impressions.
Charles
@nitewulf 

I've only read positive things about the metrum pavane 3. No doubt  you've made a great choice. And I too prefer the sound of multi-bit ladder in comparison to delta-sigma.

I haven't checked extensively, but isn't the metrum pavane 3 DAC more expensive (new) than $3500?
I am sorry, I should have been a bit more clear in my post. I am talking about the new DAC from Metrum, called Onyx.  It's made with the same DAC2 modules as the Pavane 3, but instead of 4 modules per channel, it has 2 modules per channel.  And according to pretty much everyone who heard both, they are extremely close in performance.  The Onyx is priced around $2500.

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/metrum-acoustics-onyx-and-jade-digital-analogue-converter
I'll second "Audio Note NOS DAC, no analogue filtering, tube output stage."

Most organic, natural-sounding/musical digital music I've ever heard.
With all due respects Wig, why did you not start your own topic? Its getting confusing having an original OP, and one pseudo op. ^smiley face^
Berkely Alpha DAC? v1 or 2
Bel Canto 3.5/3.7 DAC with Virtually Battery Supply PSU
For something more unusual you could try the Swedish DA909 from Harmony Design. I have an early version of the smaller dac and really liked it. The new version is about $2000 and made with modules that makes it possible to upgrade later.

http://www.harmonydesignus.com/

I couldn't find the product page in English but the Swedish page is here. You'll have to use Google translate or similar.

http://www.harmonydesign.se/index.php?sid=62&katID=4&prodID=25

Anybody tried the Denafrips Venus?  Seems to fit more or less in this price bracket.
I wanted to try the Venus, but typically people tend to either buy the Pontus or the Terminator. The large capacitor counts (possibility of failure), as well as lack of reviews kinda stopped me. I know there's a very rabid Italian following but I was looking for more consensus.

I'll stand by and say the new Metrum Onyx/Jade are the best DACs within this bracket based on what I heard/tried.
Forward 

I am looking for a Dac + Transport under 3500 used that has a very forward soundstage ( instruments are in front of the speaker, not even like sitting in the first row but being on the stage) volume control + remote and xlr needed. Bright but full bodied fast detailed sound.

will the Metrum onyx fit?

other alternatives:
resonessence mirus
benchmark dac 3
soekris 1541

I think its a lot easier to find those qualities in speakers or preamps than in a DAC. My guess is any brand that utilizes tubes in their design gets you closer to those requirements.  
By the way, my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC mk II with Bridge II is about to go up for sale.  It’s in 8 or 9 condition. PM me if that is of any interest to you!