Best used or new DAC under $3500

What would be the best DAC for under $3500, new or used? I currently use the Chord Dave and I LOVE it. However, I'm looking to downgrade to save some dough. Some reference points:

1) Yggdrasil:  Sold it as the staging was too narrow/flat and it seemed a little lifeless
2) Ayre QB-9 DSD: Feel its a bit too bright/tizzy - at this point I'm done trying Sabre DACs.

Can anyone recommend a DAC that is not a mainstream sabre chip based DAC? I dont mind it if its an older generation or vintage DAC either - Just something I can get for under $3500. I don't want a discussion to defend Sabre DACs please.

Thanks!

jozurr

Showing 10 responses by wig

Guys,

I would love to know the top 3 choices for solid-state and Tube Dacs for redbook purposes within the price listed in this thread. I'm partial to tubes but can swing either way when it comes down to musicality.

Thanks,

Wig

Guys,

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'm first going to try the Synchro-Mesh Reclocker on my modified Modwright Marantz SA 8005 Tube CD Player and from users responses I have read, this device could quash any desires for a Dac at the moment but we will see...

Wig
Curious on which of the three Dacs listed below are better since Benchmark utilizing something no other Dac use, inter-sampling:

- Yiggy
- Holo Springs
- Benchmark Dac3

Wig
That Audio Note 3 is definitely on my radar but was curious on those Dacs based upon excellent reviews and lots of buz...

What other Dacs have you compared to your AN3? Just found this from a quick search on Audiogon:

http://dastereo.ru/t/holo-audio-spring-dac-r2r-dsd512/2075/1341?u=dmitre

Thanks,
Wig
Guys,

Thank you all for your recommendations! I wanted something with tube(s) that was natural sounding, musical, transparent with no oversampling, filtering or buffering and now have this Dac in my system; Border Patrol SE with SPDIF.

I have had this Dac for 5 days now and I am really loving it! It has the ability to draw you in to the music with natural overtones and vibrant but realistic imaging and it still has more to go in terms of burn-in but bass is so impressive; nice clarity but not state of the art but very good indeed.

I normally listen to specific tracks and now find myself playing the whole disc, the music has a wholeness to it that’s hard to explain but the room is alive with life-like musicians/instruments. Will see if an Audiophile fuse will elevates its performance even further... Truly a bargain in the Dac arena with technology changing at break-neck speed.

Wig

@ david_ten

You know how it is when you have your heart set on something and needed to follow thru; the BP is a very good Dac too and the shortest I've owned a component.

Wig
In negotiations for an AN 2.1, my beloved 7 day old BP Dac will be going up for sale. What a fantastic sounding Dac and it's going to make someone here very happy at a reduced price.

Wig
@ jond

Will have to keep you in suspense until next week but it will be a game changer in Redbook play back with NOS or filtering...

Wig