Best Used Integated 1400 for B&W CDM1NT's

I would like to gradually start building my system. Currently I am using a NAD 7225 (@1988) and although the speakers recommend 50-120 wpc, I have been quite happy with the 20wpc with the 60+wpc "power envelope" although I know it can get much better (I am using a Velodyne CT-100 sub running from the NAD's pre out). I have beat all the high end audio web sites to death and have been considering a handful of integrateds.
I have a wide variety of musical preferences ranging from pink floyd & grateful dead to beastie boys and even reggae,jazz, windham hill, and classical. When I read the reviews for many integrateds, I hear considerable amounts of praise for various amps, but then again, I have no idea what these people are listening to. I also do alot of 2 channel HT viewing and would ultimately like to incorporate this amp into a 5 or 7 channel setup (this will take a long time so I need an amp that will last) I will move my CDM 1NT's to the rear & probably look into 7's or 9's & maybe even Nautilus 804's for the front, so I want to make sure I have enough power and an amp worthy of running the mains if I upgrade to the Nautilus series.
My budget is $1400. I know that I can get some good amps in the 6-800 range

Anyhow, these are the contenders:

Bryston B-60

@$8-900...great 20yr warranty, good resale, but will it be enough for the fronts in the future?

Simaudio Moon I5 @$1400 is it $500 better than the Bryston? How much "higher end" is it? Will I be happy with it longer? Love the looks, like the 10 yr warranty (shouldnt it still last longer though?)

Sim audio I5080 @$800. Will I be wishing I had gotten the I5, only to have to sell this?

Krell KAV300i @$1200. Dont even know what to say about this, this may be a love/hate relationship that I dont even want to get into...besides, every time somebody asks about this amp, everybody has an alternate suggestion.

Plinius 8100/8150/8200 @$1400...People say good things about these & also comment about how one of these is so much better than the others..it doesnt matter which one to me since any i'm sure will be quite an upgrade.

Sorry about rambling on, & if anybody has one of these for sale now, for the right price I'm all ears!

Thanks

Ellery
ellery911

Showing 1 response by gunbei

I owned the Simaudio Moon I-5 for a little over a year. At times it was magic, but often I found it lean and a bit tizzy on the top end. This was the case even when running Sonus Faber Concertinos and ProAc Tablette 50 Signatures. The I-5 is quite dynamic for 70W per side, and it throws a very wide soundstage. Percussion sounded very lifelike and exciting, but female voices were thin and brass instruments could at times be a bit bright. I would think these weaknesses may be even more pronounced with your B&Ws.

I also had the opportunity to own the Electrocompaniet ECI-3. This integrated shared many of the same strengths as the I-5, but was also more forgiving. It was just as dynamic and soundstaged as well as the I-5, but presented more natural female vocals. I think the ECI-3 would be a good match with a broader range of speaker types than the I-5, but that obviously depends on the person's taste.

Other than those two amps, I haven't heard the others you're considering. But I have heard Plinius separates and liked their sound very much. Plus the 8200 would have the power edge over the Simaudio and the Electrocompaniet. However, if you can find an ECI-4 at a good price you might consider that.

Good luck and enjoy the search!