Best used floorstanding / full range around $1000

I have a dilemma, or two:
First, which has a better value, a pair of speaker monitors with good stands, or floorstanders of a similar price? And, to extend on that, what are some recommended floorstanders around $1000 *USED*?

Now, I realize these questions have been asked a million times, and the answers are indeed subjective. However, I looked and can't find anything pertaining to this price range. I am looking for your opinion, so please if you have to reply with "listen to them yourself", don't bother. If you have something interesting to say, thanks in advance!

Here's some details on what I have right now:
I have a pair of Monitor Audio GR10's, and looking to buy speaker stands in the range of $150-300; something sturdy and stylish, but not overly expensive. I'm looking along the lines of Sanus steel series and if I could find it, some old Osiris or Target stands. Then it hit me. Instead of nice stands, perhaps it would make more sense to invest in an extra midbass driver, in other words a floorstander? I bought the GR10 here on Audiogon for about $700, and I have seen GR20's go for as low as $1100 on here and on Ebay. What are my other options? There has to be some good value used floorstanders for $1000 used, more or less (maybe $2500-3000, new, old model, etc.). Those of you who think I should just go for the stands, please state your reasons, too.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
rakuennow

Showing 1 response by porschecab

Shadorne hit is on the head - Energy Veritas is the speaker and not the version being sold today, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4, but the prior version, which as stated the 2.8's come from. The 2.8's were a Stereophile class "A" rated speaker from about 1993 to 1999 when they halted production. At $6,000 per pair and just GoodGuys selling them - it is no wonder why they stopped making them. Not a gloss finish cover put on like the current line of Veritas speakers, these were all PAINTED in gloss black!

Clearly expensive, but the speakers are VERY good. It is THE speaker I use and I have owned all but the top Wilson Alexandria's, I have owned Meridian DSP-8000's, I own JBL K2S9800SE's, BB&W Signature 800 and everything below, Revel (all), PMC (BB-5 and MC-1), Snell, Duntech, Dunlavy, etc. Veritas 2.8's are that good - they just are.

Now, they sell for $2,100 to $2,700 but their little brother, the 1.8's always sell for less than $1,000.
3" mid, 1" tweeter, a pair of 6.5 bass drivers, 3 ports and YOU DO NOT need a sub. I run 18" subs (from 4-8 in a room) but seriously, with the 1.8's and 2.8's subs for music are not necessary.

Only MAXX2's and Meridian DSP-8000's I could say this about - but I am a bass-head.

MAXX2's for about $40K, amplification for them at about $15K, or the Meridian DSP-8000's at $55K plus their electronics??? OR

Here is a phenomenal set up:
Veritas 1.8's - $900
Proceed AMP2 - $650
Proceed AVP (surround processor/preamp) - $650.
CD - most DVD players like an Oppo - $200.

$2,400 and done. YOU WILL BE SHOCKED how good this system is. When the day comes to make a complete surround system, add the Proceed AMP3 ($900), a Veritas 2.0C center ($350) and Veritas 2.0R surrounds ($400) and you are done.
You could thrown in a Velodyne HGS-12 for $600 and at a total system cost of about $4,600 you would have a system in which it would take substantially more to improve - BIG dollars, big room eq and treatments, and someone to work it all for you.

Veritas 1.8's or 2.8's - best speakers in their prospective used price points - without question according to PORSCHECAB!

Dan

Veritas 1.8's, sub $1,000, a Proceed AMP, BPA or HPA2 and