Best used DAC for $250?

Hi All, 

Looking for the best sounding used DAC for $250. I say 'used' because I assume there is nothing new for $250 that is any good???

I'm using a Sonos Connect streamer right now with a Roksan Kandy MK III integrated amp and Vandersteen 2c speakers. I use an Apple iPad to access Sonos.  

Music service is Deezer HiFi, which is FLAC. 

Here's the kicker: I used to have an original Cambridge DacMagic and it sounded pretty darn good, but perhaps it was a tad on the soft side??  So I sold it and tried a Micromega MyDac. It sounded more lively (I think). However, I noticed that I cannot directly connect my iPad to the MyDac via USB. On the DacMagic, I was able to use the Apple Camera Adapter and a USB cable to connect directly into USB. When I tried this on the MyDac, I got an error message about the device consuming too much power. I then researched this and tried BOTH a powered and non-powered USB hub. Still nothing. The reason I want direct access via USB is so I can use the other apps on my ipad for sound. 

So, I'm thinking now I probably have to just get another DacMagic and be done with it, or are there other options? 

I've read good things about the PS Audio DL III, but not sure if one can be had for $250, and, would an ipad direct connect via USB? 

Another thing I thought about too is just forget the whole idea of a USB DAC and go with a slightly older non-USB DAC with possibly better sound quality? One of my favorite CD Players of all time was the Theta Miles. I've thought about maybe going with a Theta DS Pro Prime II? 
jsbach1685

Showing 1 response by glennewdick

ifi Audio makes a new dac in your price range. Similar to the shiit. I think those few new dac’s would be a better choice then a much older dac as technology has move on quite fast for dac’s. I also use an audio quest red to surprising results