Best used amp for < $500?

Poor college kid here. (we all were at one time, weren't we?) I'm looking for a good 2 channel amp for possible main usage, or possible bridging for my THX sub. I'm trying to keep the cost down below $350, max $500. What are my options? (I've looked at used Rotel, Marantz, NAD, Carver, AudioSource, Adcom)
schaal1

Showing 1 response by tsquared

I think that for the $, there are several options. I'll give you my favorite two. If you want something to play strong and drive a big load, I would get an Acurus A150 or A 100. Both should be 300-370. They are much more refined than the ADCOM, Rotel, NAD , stuff you had mentioned. When I was in your position, the first amp I bought was the ADCOM 545 MkII and enjoyed it until I auditioned the Acurus. No comparison in speed, background quietness, and detail. Also, a sleeper of an amp is anything by Forte (poor man's Threshold-same company). The model 5 (100/channel) is used usually 400-500. Sounds incredibly quiet and mids and highs are wonderful for the price. Good low end, but not like the Acurus. Anyway, all audio thoughts are opinions, and opinions are like.... Anyway, listen to those if you get a chance. And remember as you embark on this audio trip, it is to enjoy the music, not to keep improving your system. that's a hole we all fall into pretty easily. Best of luck.