Best USB DAC for under $1000

Hi,

I'm looking to find a usb DAC for under $1000 that accepts 24/192khz files and was considering purchasing a Schiit Audio Gungnir USB Balanced DAC. How good is the Gungnir for the money?
mark11185

Showing 1 response by williewonka

I can't talk to the Gungnir, but I do have the Bifrost with the UBER upgrade - which is basically the single ended output stage from the Gungnir.

The sound is open, spacious, very detailed, dynamic, but most of all very musical.

There is a caveat - both the Gungnir and Bifrost uses the USB power from the computer to power the UCB circuits, but there is a simple solution which I have explained in this post...
Schiit Bifrost with USB & Uber upgrades

Many other USB enabled DACs also use the computers USB power - so it applies to more than the Schiit gear.

You will also find using a good quality power cable like those from AntiCables will make the Gungnir perform to it's highest level.

My Bifrost is now performing very close to my analogue rig, so I'm toying with replacing it with the Gungnir - I've heard it's a little more natural.

Others I've spoken with are very impressed with the Gungnir and if the Bifrost is anything to go by, I can see why

Good luck with your choice