Best turntable setup for under $300

Dipping my toes in the vinyl world with a relatively limited budget. Any good suggestions on something that won't break a grad student bank?

I'm not ready for a true audiophile setup, just want something that sounds good and won't destroy my records. My knowledge of analog is very limited at the present time...\

Many thanks AG members!
rch34

Showing 1 response by br3098

With all due respect, I must disagree with those who have advised the OP to go out and buy a new Sony PS-LX300USB. I have heard this TT in an average "dorm room" setup, and I must say that I thought it sounded pretty bad. Admittedly the cartridge was probably the worst part of the rig, but I think that the kid can do much better for less.

For example, I recently bought a Project/One TT on eBay for my nephew. Basically a house branded (anyone remember the old Pacific Stereo?) Pioneer PL-12 for $35. It actually came with a working Shure cartridge but I popped a new belt and an AT95E from LP Gear on it and it sounds very good. Total investement = $104.00 Would have been $55 if I had kept the original cartridge, which still had life in it. Much better than the Sony LX300 IMHO.

There are lots of other good deals out there, including old Technics, Sony and other 70s/80s DD decks. Look on your local craigslist - sometimes they are free damned nearly so.