Best Tuner under 500?

I'm in the market for a tuner and have been looking at the Rotel RT-955 ($499). I live in a tiny town 20 miles outside of New Olreans, and listen mainly to out of town AM talk shows while the wife enjoys top 40 FM radio (when I'm nowhere to be found!). Any thoughts on the Rotel? Are there better tuners for about the same price or cheaper? Will I need an external antenna or possibly one I can mount in my sizeable attic for extended AM access? (Homeowner's association restrictions on external extrusions). If it matters, other components include Acurus ACT-3 pre-pro, Adcom GFA-6000 amp (soon to be upgraded), B&W DM-640i mains, and Paradigm PS-1200 powered sub. I recently upgraded from a 1994 model Yamaha Pro Logic receiver which had terrible AM reception. My vehicles' cheap factory head units reception out performed the receiver's FM and AM by a long shot. What's the deal here?
herbl4

Showing 1 response by a71spud

Yamaha TX-950. It is discontinuted, but it is well known for being one of the best. You can still find lightly used ones for what they used to sell for new - $399. It gives you great control over pulling in weak stations. And the strong ones sound great! I live in the middle of nowhere, WI and with a $15 radio shack antenna in my attic I pull in a signal on 1/2 of the available spots on the dial. You have 20 times the resolution you normally get for FM and 10 times for AM. And a choice of wide or narrow band reception for strong and weak stations. Plus 40 presets and a host of other features.