Best Tube preamplifier under $600

Hi All,

I'm looking for some recommendations on a 2 channel tube preamplifier (with or without tuner) under $500-600.

I know this price is a stretch, so I welcome used vintage equipment as suggestions.

If you think a solid state preamp at a certain price may out perform any tube new/used than I would certainly consider those options. I suspect a lot of McIntosh products will fall into this category..

If you have a particular manufacturer to recommend please feel free to specify which models.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!!

Ps
If it makes any difference in suggestions I plan on investing in a tube amp as well, with the same budget.

If anyone needs info on what current speakers and components will be used with the pre just let me know and I'll list everything.

Thanks!
hockey4496

Showing 2 responses by sufentanil

The Marsh P2000t is a very strong tube preamp for about that price used. Great tube sound without being too syrupy.

Michael
Your Klipsh speakers should be very easy for a tube amp (even a modestly-powered one) to drive. They tend to be very efficient and an easy load.

Jhold is right on the money with his suggestion of going with a tube integrated. Something like a Jolida 302b should be roughly within your price range, although there are several other well-regarded tube integrated amps under the $1000 price point.

Your speakers make it relatively easy to have great sound from a budget tube integrated amp. My advice is to take advantage of it and go that route.

Michael