Best Tube preamplifier under $600

Hi All,

I'm looking for some recommendations on a 2 channel tube preamplifier (with or without tuner) under $500-600.

I know this price is a stretch, so I welcome used vintage equipment as suggestions.

If you think a solid state preamp at a certain price may out perform any tube new/used than I would certainly consider those options. I suspect a lot of McIntosh products will fall into this category..

If you have a particular manufacturer to recommend please feel free to specify which models.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!!

Ps
If it makes any difference in suggestions I plan on investing in a tube amp as well, with the same budget.

If anyone needs info on what current speakers and components will be used with the pre just let me know and I'll list everything.

Thanks!
hockey4496

Showing 1 response by jhold

I second the motion for a Conrad-Johnson PV10 (specifically, the line stage / no-phono version, the PV-10L or PV-10AL).

Alternatively, given that you plan to buy a tube amp, you might want to combine your amp and preamp budget and invest in a good tube integrated. Keep your eye out for a used PrimaLuna Prologue One or Prologue Two. Google for info and reviews -- very nice amps. Similar (and available used on Audiogon as I write this post) is the Cayin A-50T.

Another integrated option -- the Unison Unico -- has tube preamp stage and solid state amp -- sounds warm and musical.

Finally, you might again combine amp and preamp budget and look into the integrated amps from Jolida. You could get a new or like-new one from Underwood Wally, who advertises constantly on Audiogon.