Best tube integrated under 1500 new or used

I am using a MingDa 300B-4T and it is actually pretty good. I guess with mod such as power supply, coupling cap and other upgrades then it will sound even better. The one I have is 100% stock.

What other tube integrate amps you think offer great values for under 1500 usd new or used?
andy2

Showing 1 response by tubeears

Onix SP-3. Just an exceptional value, at all levels. It is musical, detailed and extended (at both ends) plus wide open in the middle. With the extra money that you save with this amp, you can buy some candy ("audio" candy, that is). You could shower yourself with new sets of Cables, golden Toes or perhaps a clear box of Rocks dripping in Snake Oil.
Clinically Insane does not begin to cover the extent of our Audiophile madness sometimes.

The price (of the SP-3) crosses some borders (seems to be the "norm" now). From 5/600.00 Used to 1K.00 or so w/mods (Hexies, silver, etc.).
The amps responds (very) well to tube rolling and cable changes. It leans toward the "musical" side of "nuetral", with an excellent low end (for SS or tube). It has a "hint" of Single ended-ness" and a beautiful voice range.
It "can" be bettered in "individual" catagories, but as a "whole", it is damn hard to beat for under 1500.00.

Other suggestions:
The Halo Audio (oasisaudio.com) SPM-25 MonoBlocks. ... Nice "single ended" bliss with medium size balls. Fast, transparent and nuetral. VERY well built. Actually they are Mod'd versions of the ASL spm-25's. They drove everything that I could throw at them (when I owned a pair) and were a very detailed and excieting amp to have in my system.... About a 1000.00 new, and good luck used.
Those are two amps to add to your hunt. Which of them is better (?).... wellll. The jury is still out (for me, a least) on the Onix. I have only had it for a short while. A few things are certain. I do (very much) like the way with which the SP-3 sets up a large and musical soundstage. I like it's grunt and the delicacy as well. Not much "not" to like actually.

Good luck hunting,
Tubby