Best Tonearm and Cartridge for 4K or under for restored Garrard 301

I have a good set up for digital audio and would like to venture into analog audio. My digital set up is
Cary DMS600 -> Cary SLP05 -> Cary CAD211FE -> KEF Blade. I love the sound!

My first and only TT is a Thorens TD126 with TP16 tonearm and TMC60 MC -> PPA990 and phono stage is Cary PH302.

I bough an old Garrard 301. Planning to get it restored by Jim Campbell. Have a slate plinth. Now I am looking for a tonearm and cartridge that will justify my set up. I am thinking 4K. I could go lower or higher depending on the feedback, cost/value. I am looking for a good bargain. If I don't like it, I can easily sell it without much loss. I listen to classical, jazz, rock, indian music. 

I have never setup a tonearm before. But I looked extensively on the internet and Michael Fremer's how to set up videos. I understand all the different angles, VTA, SRA, Azimuth, Zenith. 

Looks like Michael likes Kuzma 4PT, I liked his review of the tonearm.
I am also looking at linear trackers like Transfi Terminator.
Woody, Triplaner Mk VII, SME 3012R, SME 312, Ortofon RS 309D, Dynavector DV 505/ 507, Reed 3P, Stogi reference, FR 64S, FR 64 FX, Sumiko 800.

kanchi647

Showing 15 responses by kanchi647

@millercarbon  Thanks! I will stay away from linear trackers then. I am a newbie to analog but quick leaner. Their selling point seems soo obvious, but will stay away. 
Can you pls elaborate on the One continuous wire from cartridge clip to RCAs.. The thorens I have needs no set up except tracking force and anti-skating. Then I use RCA cable from back of the TT to PPA990. 

@solypsa Please help with tonearm and cart combos with SLP05. Thanks!

@sdrsdrsdr it took me a while to understand the difference between idler wheel vs DD vs belt drive. Mine is a grease bearing 301 as well. Please suggest good combos for the 301. 

I am looking for low compliance high mass tone arm as everyone suggests for the 301.

@sdrsdrsdr Thanks for the tips about Indian music. Which TT does he use? Pls explain why the Lyra is not good? I am trying to learn and understand. Demo is a problem as I live in rural area. I live in Wheelersburg, OH. I am happy to travel to demo stuff if anyone is willing to show me. 
@chakster Thank you for the high mass tonearm suggestions. I am not 100% sure if I have to go the high mass tonearm route. Most 301 users suggest high mass and low compliance carts. If they are cheap and best, then its a win win. 

This is all new to me. There are so many variables and I am trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks again. 
@chakster which TT do you use? Thanks for all the suggestions and combos. I will start looking for them on hifishark
@fsonicsmith please help me understand. I have read both sides of wood vs granite plinths. They say shindo is the best which is layered cherry. Then peakhifi sells granite plinths and Oswald Millls Audio made granite plinths and I spoke with the owner and he swears by it. I went with granite bcos of the logic of not coloring the sound by the TT and keep it neutral. However I like the idea of complimentary components as well. Then I read CLD is not a good idea for garrard. I am very open minded. 
What tonearm and cartridge do you use. Did you upgrade the plinth and bearings? Thanks
@noromance I love your setup. Superb! I cannot find the Idler on audiosilente website. Is it pulley? pardon my ignorance. Pls elaborate on SPH and platter. My platter has no markings.
Would you have given it to Jim for cleaning? (I know you used audiograil) They are a bit expensive and shipping.
What are the things below the spikes on the slate plinth. Where did you get the spikes. I like the look.

Thanks to you and everyone who has posted in this thread. Its really fun!
@fsonicsmith OMG! that's a beauty. 
I have to admit, I did not know how to look at system. @noromance in his first post had a link to his system and I just clicked. Now I know how to look at someones system!!
Did Greg in Nashville rebuild  rebuild your system?
He is only 5hrs away and I can easily drive.
I actually drove to Washington DC to listen to Greg Beron's system and his tape decks.
I like your suggestion about going all in. 
I will order the Idler wheel.
If I may ask, where do you live?
Thanks!
I spoke with Greg at STS. Great guy. 
I am planning to get it rebuild by Greg. He offered a lot of upgrades for 301. He stocks  AudioSilente idler wheel. 
He also has long spindle bearing and bigger platter which sits on top of the original one. He says that it is better than the shindo bearing and platter. This upgrade is for 2600$.
I will go with upgrading idler wheel for sure.
I will buy the plinth from  Layers of Beauty and ship it to Greg.
Greg likes SME 3009 and SME 3012 version i or ii tone arms and he said he can refurbish them as well. He also carries Schick tonearms. 
Now I have to hunt for a tonearm and cart.
Thanks again for all your help.
@fsonicsmith I sure will. May I ask why you did not use the Brass platter and bearing and spindle from STS? Greg said that the one he makes sits on top of the original platter. Its like having two platters. 
I spoke with Sien regarding the SPH Bearing. He made a lot of those for Lenco and TD124 and now makes them for 301/401. 1/3 the price. I am planning to buy one from him. @noromance thanks for the lead. Anyone here have any experience with SPH bearing?
@noromance Is the SPH same for 301 and 401 (30mm size).  Will it work with grease bearing as well? Any you-tube videos on how to change the bearing?
Thanks
Just bought a Pete Riggle Woodie universal tone arm.
now have to look for a cartridge. Thinking of Denon DL103.
what’s the difference between DL103 and DL103R?
Thanks 
@pindac thanks for sharing the info. I will keep this in mind as I am doing more tweaking in the future 

@noromance I went with PRW bcos I got it at a good price and works with all carts and has VTA, Azimuth on fly and many say it is as good as Reed arm 
I would like to know, why are you calling it an interesting choice 
I am also buying Sien’s tonearm. It looks awesome. I will have two tonearms mounted. Sien also suggested AT95E cart with custom aluminum body and shibata stylus, which I will mount on Sien’s arm. Need a cart for the woodie. 
@rauliruegas @patrickamory @bigbucks5 @yagbol2 (they specifically mentioned IT-407 is better than fr66s)

I bought a peter riggle woody tone arm, SME 3012 ii and FR 64S.
I am looking at FR-66S vs IT-407.
I bought a Shindo platter and bearing as well which is being shipped.
I am happy to spend the money as long as I can get it back if I don't like it.
The reason I am buying so many arms is that I can have mounting boards made for them and compare them.
I am also interested if someone isolated the tonearm mount from the plinth. I saw some youtube videos and they look amazing. 
A lot of forum members are claiming that FR-66S is better than Ikeda IT-407 (early version and later version), even though IT-407 is good on paper doesn't translate into sound is what they claim.
I would like to get your thoughts on that.  

Thanks
Nanda