Best system to be done for $4500-5000.

I have been lurking here for a while but am finally about to move into a new house and want a new system. I have searched the archives and current posts and the following is where I am stuck. The room in question is 20 x 15.5, with a 10-foot high ceiling. I want to build a very nice sounding 2-channel system that is 5.1 capable and phono capable. In other words, I am going to spend the money now on 2-channel for digital music, but want to be able to just buy center, effects, sub, and turntable at a later time when I save up money again. I will most likely use the system 80% music/20% HT.
I have gone to the few hi-fi shops in my area and auditioned what is available here, but I think my money could be more wisely spent on used gear on Audiogon. I did enjoy an Arcam system driving Linn speakers, and also a pair of B&W 703s driven by a Denon (these are with my virgin, untrained ears). However, without being able to audition a lot of pieces in my area, I need advice to achieve the synergy that is needed to help me get to audio nirvana. The music I enjoy are live recordings made off soundboards and mics at concerts, Jazz, Rock, and Classical. I will be incorporating a Tascam DA-20 mkII DAT deck for my live recordings and possibly a Denon 3803 for future HT (I am not opposed to selling this if in my best interest.)
From the reading and research I have done with the little auditioning I have done, pieces that I am interested in are as follows:

1.Integrated amp and Receiver (both - what else should I consider?)
a.Integrated amp – Musical Fidelity A3.2 (Aux 2 provides direct amp input for HT bypass) and also has phono - used ~$1100.00
b. Receiver ( for future HT use ) - Denon 3803 great for movies and will be bypassed for 2-channel stereo with MF – I currently own.
2. CD Player ( one of these )
a. Jolida JD-100A used ~$750.00 (may modify)
b. Music Hall CD-25 used ~$375.00 (may modify)
c. Rega Planet original/2000/Jupiter. Used~ $325/575/1350
3. Speakers (one pair of these)
a. B&W 703
b. Von Schweikert Audio vr2 used~$1750
c. Linn Ninka
d. Revel Performa F-30 used ~ $2200.00
e. Magnepan MG-1.5qr/1.6qr used ~ $600/1100
f. GMA Europas ~ $880
g. Vandersteen 2ce/3/3a – used ~ $1100/1500/2200

Any money left over will be used for cables, interconnects, line conditioner, and other things I have read but know nothing about. I appreciate any and all comments, and am open to any suggestions. I guess I just want to get a feel if I am on the right track, or should I consider a different way to get great sounding 2-channel with HT upgradability.
Thanks - tig
128x128tig

Showing 1 response by mijknarf

Tig,
Check out my system. I have recently downgraded the cost by 40%. Most of this was bought new/demo. The whole shot is under $4.5k including cables, PCs and Porter Ports. Cables are so subjective, I'll leave that up to you (although I love VH Audio), but I love my 3 main components: Stingray/JD100/Europas. Is this the best that one can do? I doubt it, but I can listen all day to this setup. Audition if you can, I did and in my room, some of these components out did others costing much more. Good luck.