Best system for the budding audiophile?

What began as a search for new speakers has rapidly evolved into the development of a new system. After reading many reviews (none of which are negative - Hmmm?!), I am humbly turning to this sage group for recommendations.

I am an avid listener of classical and jazz. I occasionally listen to select blues and rock, but that's not my first love. For me, I like a piano to sound like a piano, a guitar like a guitar, etc. No coloration, just the facts, so to speak. I am not a bass hound but prefer a detailed midrange and clear highs. I also look for a open spacious sound stage for symphonic pieces. I have a large room 15' by 20' but can't be too fussy with placement. I am budgeting around $5,000 for my new system.

Based on this information, what system would you build (Amp, CD player, speakers)? which is better bookshelf speakers with stands or floorstanding? I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks in advance,
cdilascia

Showing 1 response by phil0618

I put together the following system recently and I love it. All equipment was purchased used.

Proac Response 1.5's $1700
Threshold FET 2 pre amp $350 (amazing quality, inc phono)
Sonographe SA250 amp $500
VPI Jr w/RB600 $800
Clearaudio Aurum Beta S $350
SONY 333 ES SACD $350
Speaker and I/C cables $500

your mileage (and tastes) will very but this is a very satisfying system. I'm sure there are a million other combinations that you can assemble that would sound similarly good. You might also get a coopy of Stereophiles Recomended Components and use it as a guide to get you started.

I've just added a PS Audio P300 power conditioner as well to feed the system some clean juice but you don't need it to hear some wonderful things from the system.

Most of all... HAVE FUN

Phil