Best subs for music under 1000$

Hello everyone,

I'm searching for the most appropriate subwoofer/bass panel to mate with my Magnepan MMGs, and would love to hear from experienced audiogoners!

My room is large (30x20x12) but for various reasons I shall not expand on here, I cannot go up to the larger panels.

Hence, my search for the best possible solution(s)to assist the MMGs in the lower frequencies.

My system consists of Peachtree Audio Nova 125, Oppo BD-93, PC + JRiver, and later, a decent turntable.

My musical tastes range from Classical to reggae, but mostly classic/pop rock and contemporary jazz.

I like my music loud but tight, if you can understand me... and certainly, at moderate levels when I want to really sink in a performance.

Hoping to hear from you guys, thanks in advance for your guidance and suggestions.

jlr261
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjlr261
JRL262,

I have listened to a lot of subs at places other than my home.
Audioholics has a spreadsheet of subwoofer reviews
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews

I bought my son in law a BIC sub for his apartment in Milwaukeee. a inexpensive $325 sub...not bad and ported

I run the Velodyne F-1500 sealed sub.

The above is background info on my below thoughts:

I have listened to REL, JL audio,Velodyne,and all sounded good.

Online sellers to look at in you price of $1k
Rhythmic
SVS
HSu
POWER sound.

I think you need a 15 in for your room.
If I was to take a shot this time around for $1k.

I would look at a Power sound sealed 15"

I talked to a guy who had one and he was flabbergasted by it for $799

Good luck, we all have opinions on subs.
You have a good/great price conscious start in Maggy & Peachtree

10-12" subs will be to small unless you have 2 for your room.
My room is close and the 15" is good, sent plot and corrected plot at frozentundra

Keep the faith.

Jeff
Timing is very important to use for music. In my opinion most are too slow. Velodyne is for music not one of the best and fastest responses in the market. Rel is loosing also in this part compared to other brands who are faster. And yes roomcorrection systems make subwoofers integrate much better. So far Audyssey pro gave the best results!
The new Monitor Audio Radius 390 is very fast and well controlled. In timing it is the best new subwoofer I heard sofar. Most subwoofers are way too slow in response. But this one is fast as a rocket.
Used Velodyne DD-15 or older servo model.
I've got the f-1500 with Peachtree Stuff

I've listened to a lot of REL, but I am left wanting.

I've fought subwoofer room nodes & One Note bass & not fully in phase correctly.

Just purchased Dirac Irc with Amarra 3.0 & the system is 99 percent right now!!!!!!

Subs without the room correction are not complete,now that I have heard it done right (my opinion)

Jeff

Ps: Musical Sub? What does that mean? Setting by ear is the best? My summary: room resonance/nodes are the bad thing that comes with big bass. If you cannot correct it, all subs sound bloated......Use science....Dirac IRC makes it all work.
Parametric EQ is a so, so solution
More subs are less distortion( 2 sounds real good, but e pensive)
Used Velodyne DD-15 or older servo model.
I've got the f-1500 with Peachtree Stuff

I've listened to a lot of REL, but I am left wanting.

I've fought subwoofer room nodes & One Note bass & not fully in phase correctly.

Just purchased Dirac Irc with Amarra 3.0 & the system is 99 percent right now!!!!!!

Subs without the room correction are not complete,now that I have heard it done right (my opinion)

Jeff
Even the older models, used, are outstanding

You wouldn't want to check measured performance on those older REL subs if you really believe that statement. They test horribly across virtually every parameter. BTW, I have no idea as to how current REL modes test (as I haven't reviewed the data in years), so this is no shot at current REL models. You can also have your own opinion as to the relevance of test data. However, it's pretty clear that REL built their reputation with products that did a poor job of producing clean, loud, deep bass.

People may value them for other reasons (in home performance is system and site specific, so generalizations are dangerous), but the test results for older REL subwoofers cannot substantiate the statement above.

Visit HTshack.com for the relevant data.
09-05-14: Jafant
Jlr-
"Everything else is junk- a waste of money."

09-06-14: Lewinskih01
"Absolute statements like Jafant's above just aren't helpful to people with honest questions."

I like the objectivity.
True, REL subs are known for their musicality but to declare everything else junk is pretty funny.

Bill
Absolute statements like Jafant's above just aren't helpful to people with honest questions. That statement is simply not true. This coming from a guy who had a Rel sub and loved it, but likes Rythmiks better in his system. Rels are great; just pointing out for the OP's benefit the statement is not true.
Jlr-

look no further than REL. A perfect , sonic match for Maggies.
These are the best, most musical sub out there. Even the older models, used, are outstanding. Everything else is junk- a waste of money. Keep us posted on your buying decision. Happy Listening!
Look into Rythmik. I replaced on Rel Storm IIi with two Rythmiks and am very pleased.
Vandersteen 2WQ subwoofer (used). 3 driver, 300 watt subwoofer

Google the reviews, highly recommended. Sample extract from Audioreview

"....This subwoofer is most notable for its ability to blend seamlessly with the main speakers....

The addition of the 2Wq gave my system the bass detail and dynamics that was lacking and seemed to liberate the 2Ce's to do what they do best. Drums and upright bass are more present and palpable now without anything extra being added.

The 2Wq responds quickly and actually adds detail in the bass rather than smearing it out as some home theater subwoofers will do. Most importantly, positioned in the corner of the room with a plant on top it and blending so naturally with the mains sonically, the 2Wq does not call attention to itself.

As with the 2Ce Signatures it does take some patience and experimentation to optimize the sound but now that I finally got it right the 2Wq is one exciting vanishing act. Don't cheap out on the crossovers or the speaker cables...."
Hsu for the money. Or SVS. I love REL sealed subs if you can find one in your price range. They reproduce bass tones of music particularly well