Best subs for music under 1000$

Hello everyone,

I'm searching for the most appropriate subwoofer/bass panel to mate with my Magnepan MMGs, and would love to hear from experienced audiogoners!

My room is large (30x20x12) but for various reasons I shall not expand on here, I cannot go up to the larger panels.

Hence, my search for the best possible solution(s)to assist the MMGs in the lower frequencies.

My system consists of Peachtree Audio Nova 125, Oppo BD-93, PC + JRiver, and later, a decent turntable.

My musical tastes range from Classical to reggae, but mostly classic/pop rock and contemporary jazz.

I like my music loud but tight, if you can understand me... and certainly, at moderate levels when I want to really sink in a performance.

Hoping to hear from you guys, thanks in advance for your guidance and suggestions.

jlr261
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjlr261

Showing 1 response by martykl

Even the older models, used, are outstanding

You wouldn't want to check measured performance on those older REL subs if you really believe that statement. They test horribly across virtually every parameter. BTW, I have no idea as to how current REL modes test (as I haven't reviewed the data in years), so this is no shot at current REL models. You can also have your own opinion as to the relevance of test data. However, it's pretty clear that REL built their reputation with products that did a poor job of producing clean, loud, deep bass.

People may value them for other reasons (in home performance is system and site specific, so generalizations are dangerous), but the test results for older REL subwoofers cannot substantiate the statement above.

Visit HTshack.com for the relevant data.