Best SS preamp for FetValve amp?

I'm seriously considering buying one of Frank van Alstine's FetValve amps. My friend has had one for years, and I've always been impressed with the way it plays music on his Shahinian speakers. I happen to have the same speakers so I've got a pretty good guess that it will work as nicely in my setup if I pick the right preamp.

He uses a Quicksilver pre. It's a beaut, but I absolutely do not want more tubes to worry about. A tube pre for me is a non-starter. However, I do want to find a SS pre that works well with the FetValve. The two together should provide an open, liquid presentation, good soundstaging (width and depth), natural and complete extension from low to high, excellent transient speed, all the usual stuff. I'm not partial to either a "dark" or "bright", "soft" or "hard" sonic presentation. It should sound like the real thing (simple, yes?).

The pre also must have either a stepped volume control or a HT bypass. Dual outs would also be nice, but is not a deal breaker. It could be new or used, but I think my limit on the pre would be about $2K or a bit more.
tonyptony

Showing 1 response by charlie123

Hi;
I have a Audio Research SP16 tube preamp and love it. It cost $2000 without phono and $2500 with phono (which I have). The SP16 has 2 sets of outputs, a HT processor, full function remote and a immence sound stage. I have a Classe model 4 preamp in my bedroom and brought it out into the lvg room for a comparison against the SP16. There was no comparison, I put the Classe back into the bedroom right away (which does fine there with a little Adcom power amp and small Alon speakers).
I may switch around power amps but my SP16 is there to stay. I have it coupled with Quicksilver Silver Sixties and Vandersteen 2CEs (I'm looking to add a Vandy sub soon).