Best speakers under $500? Fire away!

Looking for suggestions for budget speakers under $500.  Can be floor or bookshelf.  
Let's hear the suggestions for the experts out there!

Thank you
34dean
+2

But this is what happens when someone insists on asking for suggestions on the internet, especially speakers.  Instead of making up a short list and going out and audition.  You end up buying what the popular flavor of the year is from a consensus from a bunch of strangers on the internet.  Which seldom ends up being the right speaker for you.

If the OP had asked a year ago, it would have overwhelming been the Pioneer SP-BS22 LR.  This year Elac.  Who know which one next year.  But you can be assured the question will continue to be asked.   

I have not pulled the trigger yet on anything.  My plan was to start with the ELAC's and then also bring in the 10.1's and MA Bronze 1's and compare all with my current Klipsch RB-61's.  I agree with people here about listening to as many as possible.  But I need to do that at home.  

I realize that spec-wise, the MA's might match up best due to my 3020's 20wpc but bc it is what it is, I think it can drive almost any speakers in this area.
Any amp will "drive" any speaker. The question is how well. We hooked up my buddy's 8wpc homemade tube integrated amp to my Martin Logan electrostatics just for kicks and plenty of sound came out. They are normally fed by a pair of McIntosh MC2200 amps. Actually, that Pioneer model mentioned earlier is a better match for the 3020, all things considered.
Correct the specifications of the speakers doesn’t give the full picture there are speakers with high sensitivity but less efficiency and more demanding than ones with low sensitivity, there are low watts power out put amps but extremely efficient  and in contrarary terrible aledgley high power output amps atc....

I could just post a "+3", but I'll try to explain.

" tls49... going to listen at higher levels and will see how many lights illuminate.  I was at only 10 o'clock volume the other night and 4 of the lights lit up. "

When that 4th light blinks, that means the amp is peaking at 20 watts of output power. Now the 3020 can peak at least 40 watts and a little higher depending on the load. So, the above scenario is well within it's operating range.

The sensitivity of the  ELAC Debut B6 is spec'd at 87db, but as I said, that needs to be adjusted to 85.5 db because it's a 6 ohm speaker. Stereophile actually measured it at 85db. That's 10db lower than the Klipsch speakers you are currently using. That means the B6 will require more than 160 watts of peak power to play at the same volume of the above scenario with the Klipsch needing 20 watts of peak power. Do you actually think the 3020 is capable of peaking more than 160 watts?

So, +3   huge mistake

With my current Klipsch, I am only approaching max output with the amp at very, very high listening levels.  Perhaps the ELAC's are not a good match as many are saying here.  The MA's sound like a better match.  
ELAC's are 6 ohm.87db
Wharf 10.1 are 6 ohm 85db
MA Bronze 1 are 8 ohm 87db

I listen to music at "normal" listening levels.  
you not only can't tell by the numbers, the published numbers are not always accurate or measured the same way...
I can give a personal example the McIntosh integrated amp MA6700 has a power output of 200W ,my McIntosh MC152 power amp has only 150W theoretically my power amp should be less powerful than the MA6700 but it’s not !
I heard them both my amp is much powerful,transparent and detailed than the MA6700 ,That’s show you the published numbers are not always accurate or measured the same way...
 Under $ 500 MA Bronze 2 is one of the best of the best with sensitivity 90 db / impedance 8ohm making it very efficient and easy to drive, speaker of the year on What Hi Fi .

http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-2/review
itzhak1969... that is the one I am leaning towards right now.  Seems to fit my system best and the reviews are great.  
Great thread, as I was in a similar dilemna. If you live in a larger market, then going used has greater reward. Most audiophiles snub Klipsch, but I recently acquired some RF 3 floorstanders and have been impressed. These are a bit older so the market has plummeted. <$400. [Review: TNT audio]. Great "boogie factor" for classic rock, no need for stands or a sub: full range. If you must go new, Primus 36x floorstander is a good choice with solid reviews. Others might argue for a bookshelf, but again, those require stands, and depending upon model , often a sub. Listening tastes will also dictate your choice.

Oversight: OP already has Klipsch, which was the direction I would be leaning with a Nad 3020 (which I have owned). Granted, Klipsch sound is not for everybody, myself included at times, but at this price point, there are adherent sacrifices. Fwiw, MA RS6 (stereophile fave) pop up in my area from time to time for $500 or so, just a thought.
Post removed 
Not sure I would go that far, but definitely $500 or under the CL-2's would be extremely hard to beat. My Lore Reference at $750 sound better, but they are also an incredible bargain.
I'm setting up my first hifi turntable system and am planning to get the ELAC UB5s and an integrated amp.  Will the REGA Brio be powerful enough for these speakers?  Would I be better off with the more powerful Rogue Audio Sphinx V2? 

Thanks,
Chris
 Jay15206,

I saw your response just now, sorry for the delay.  I have 2 pair of B&W Matrix 805.  One bought many, many years ago for $750, and the second pair more recently, alas, I can not find my auction for the most recent. I do buy with Esnipe, and I am patient.  I also have a pair of HTM, the horizontal version of the Matrix 805.  I bought them one at a time as they are often sold that way. I bought the first to scavenge for parts for my 805 that I thought was damaged, in fact, once I got it down off the high shelf, it was a loose cable!  So, I bought a second for a bedroom small system.  The most recent HTM I did find on my Ebay auction list, it was purchased for $250.

Looking at Ebay, at completed, or sold auctions, I do find the following:
Matrix 805 pairs:  3/18 $525, 2/26 $499, 2/18 $550, 1/29 $601, 1/25 $540, 1/15 $575 etc...
Matrix HTM single: 3/24 $349, 2/27 $210, 2/19 $260, 2/10 199.

In fact, I follow the prices closely as the old Matrix series has great value.  I have also a pair of 804s, 3 of the 802's I've used for LCR for years in HT set up.

I would break even selling my pair of HTM for $500 plus shipping I think, but I love them!

(Fed by an Oppo 105 direct into a Bryston 3B ST, or, occasionally into a Bryston XLR 10B with bass going to a PCS-8 from B&W, all driven by a Bryston 5B ST.)

xyobgyn:

"B&W Matrix 805 used

Used is about $500, and will retain that value for some time. Remarkably hard to beat for $500"

The only ones I've seen for sale recently ran $795 unless they were seriously damaged. There's a pair without tweeters for $395 on eBay, $749 for a pair in which two front clips on tweeter housings were broken and glued back on.

There was a pair on Audiogon for $795 IIRC a week or two back. I guess they sold for that amount, as I no longer see them when I search. There's even a guy who's had a pair for $995 on US Audio Mart since September.

If you have a pair you'd like to sell for $500, xyobgyn, please let me know.

Go ahead and laugh , Right set up the Bose 301 and give time to break in. They make and sell ten thousand a day
OK, given you have a pair of speakers you enjoy time is on your side. Again, good luck in your search. Also, congrats on the generation of a 3 page thread! :-)
xyobgyn,

Thanks for responding. I'll keep my eye out for a pair. I hope I'll find prices like you did.

I also wonder whether you (or anyone) might know how the Matrix 805 compares with Bowers & Wilkins' 685 S2, DM1, or DM2.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay15206,

I saw your response just now, sorry for the delay. I have 2 pair of B&W Matrix 805. One bought many, many years ago for $750, and the second pair more recently, alas, I can not find my auction for the most recent. I do buy with Esnipe, and I am patient. I also have a pair of HTM, the horizontal version of the Matrix 805. I bought them one at a time as they are often sold that way. I bought the first to scavenge for parts for my 805 that I thought was damaged, in fact, once I got it down off the high shelf, it was a loose cable! So, I bought a second for a bedroom small system. The most recent HTM I did find on my Ebay auction list, it was purchased for $250.

Looking at Ebay, at completed, or sold auctions, I do find the following:
Matrix 805 pairs: 3/18 $525, 2/26 $499, 2/18 $550, 1/29 $601, 1/25 $540, 1/15 $575 etc...
Matrix HTM single: 3/24 $349, 2/27 $210, 2/19 $260, 2/10 199.

In fact, I follow the prices closely as the old Matrix series has great value. I have also a pair of 804s, 3 of the 802's I've used for LCR for years in HT set up.

I would break even selling my pair of HTM for $500 plus shipping I think, but I love them!

(Fed by an Oppo 105 direct into a Bryston 3B ST, or, occasionally into a Bryston XLR 10B with bass going to a PCS-8 from B&W, all driven by a Bryston 5B ST.)

xyobgyn:

"B&W Matrix 805 used

Used is about $500, and will retain that value for some time. Remarkably hard to beat for $500"

The only ones I've seen for sale recently ran $795 unless they were seriously damaged. There's a pair without tweeters for $395 on eBay, $749 for a pair in which two front clips on tweeter housings were broken and glued back on.

There was a pair on Audiogon for $795 IIRC a week or two back. I guess they sold for that amount, as I no longer see them when I search. There's even a guy who's had a pair for $995 on US Audio Mart since September.

If you have a pair you'd like to sell for $500, xyobgyn, please let me know.

Really hard to beat BA in this category. Their new A series with a return to a dome tweeter is a nice addition. In the used market I prefer the older lines that dont utilize the V metal tweeter. These are plentiful and affordable, although some might need refoaming. 
I would also look into a used pair of Dynaudio DMs. They were significant better than the Elac B6 in every way, when I owned one.  I would imagine that the Elac UB5 is closer to the Dynaudios.  Honestly...you will never be happy with a $500 dollar speakers :p.  I personally would save up and little more and buy either the KEF LS50, Harbeth P3ESR or Vandersteen 1C.    Good luck!  
KEF LS50, Harbeth P3 need save not only a little more, it's 2 to 3 times, it's hard to beat the Wharfedale Denton, the romantic sound, heritage build, and fantastic price
I am testing a pair of Q Acoustics 3020's on the referral from a trusted audiophile who states they punch well above their pricepoint and sound amazing.  
I love the look of the Dentons just unsure how they would meld with my NAD 3020.  
If you can arrange for an in home trial- you can get a better idea of compatibility with your amp, room, music and "ear". A lot of stores will loan out stuff for a week or so, especially if you put it on a card and refund on return. Worst case arrange to pick up their demos on Saturday (with a card charge & return/refund plan), play with them for a day or two (specialty stores are often closed on Monday, or have minimal traffic). If you can, try to get two or three pairs of your favorites at the same time to compare. 
with the dentons and wharfedale in general, you would not believe the quality of the cabinet, the grill,  and binding posts you get for the money.  
In terms of sonics, they are on the warm side, mellow, laid back, very smooth and zero harshness highs, easy to listen to.  I have them powered by a marantz integrated that is also warm and laid back, and I do not feel like it is a good combination.
They are not monsters of details and air, nor do they fill the room, but that is compared to my totem hawks. They image ok, soundstage ok.
In my room, they are good for low to moderate volume listening, toed-in on axis 8ft away.  If the 3020 sounds like the NAD integrated I once had, dynamic, punch in the lows and the highs, then it could very well be a good match.
The dentons need power, more than my totem hawks.
Yes, all LS 3/5a style speakers need clean power amp, do not try ady warm signature amp like Marantz, not saying it's not working, just not the best
Been listening to the Q Acoustics 3020's for a day or so now.  They are warmer and more refined than the Klipsch RB-51's.  Top end is extremely accurate, mids are nice and bass is tight and precise.  I have them 7" from the wall which seems to be pretty good.  

Next up will probably be the Wharfedale Dentons.  

My NAD 3020 is having no problems whatsoever driving the less sensitive Q's.  Very impressed with this little gem of an amp.  
Your NAD 3020 can drive any reasonable bookshelf speakers easily , you don't have to be worry about the speaker's rated sensitivity .
Wharfedale and Q Aaoustics are fine for its cost but not great speakers .not bad sound at all but certainly  not overwhelming. 
I agree that the 3020 will drive many reasonably sensitive  speakers (87-90dB). However many of them, especially those that are priced higher than the $500 class, best return the investment when driven by more clean power than provided by this amp. Again, I am a fan of NAD and have owned several models over time. I believe that there are several $500 class speakers that make for a great combo with the 3020. It is always up to the individual to select which combo is best for their needs.

34dean, you might want to take your NAD to a dealer when listening to a few speakers of interest. Maybe ask the dealer to use their recommended amp (one with more power) with the same speakers as a learning experience. You have me interested in the Q3020s, I am going to look them up. 

I agree that the NAD 3020 can drive many reasonable sensitive (87-90dB) speakers. Many especially those above the $500 price point, will not preform at their best until driven by an amp that provides more clean power than this amp.  

34dean, you might want to take your amp with you to audition a few speakers of interest. Maybe ask the dealer to play the same speakers with another amp having more power as an educational experience.  You have me interested in the Q3020s and I will look up info on them. Glad you found a speaker you enjoy. 
@itzhak1969 It really can be confusing if you say that, having heard other speakers like Dynaudio, I dun think especially the Denton lose a lot, in terms of music resolution, if you want compare dynamic that's another story, you have to guide based on OP music preferences, as always there is no perfect speakers, you want something sound overwhelming may result listening to some music as overly bright or detailed, the Denton strike the balance amazingly, it's not really that it's not dynamic, just to the sense of ultimate it's not, but I can say it's enough powerful and musical for 95% music, I think even the Dynaudio lose a bit if to compare how easy to listen to wider music genre

@34dean My experience with NAD 3020 was great which was my first start to enjoy British speakers, also unlike Topping TP60 which unable to drive properly some speakers, the NAD works very well, however the bass could be a little bit mellow, you need cleaner and more power to bring out the muscle grip of some bass notes
Post removed 
@wim1983 I owned some Wharfedale speakers in the past and I know their speakers very well they are not bad for their price and if the budget is limited the Danton can be a good option ,However after hearing many speakers cost under $500 I can’t say that I heard really good bookshelf speakers in this price level if you want one it start at 1K and more except only one speaker that really thrill me the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 that I already recommend to the OP once I first heard it I couldn’t believe that this speaker cost less than $500 it throw away spacious soundstage, heavy and deep bass and excellent resolution also the build quality of this speakers is superb, I don’t think there is any speaker that can compete with the MA Bronze 2 under $500 only on the second hand market .
@itzhak1969 Can't say you are wrong, subjective from people to people, gear matching also play a part here, my experience with all metal tweeters so far is not very good, it may give you a little bit more or big nuance in air and clearness, but not over a long listening sessions, also you hear different than I am, I'm a bit sensitive to metal tweeters, I would 99% try to avoid it and can confirm it cover less genre, some recordings sound harsh and overly detailed on top end, though I haven't heard of the Harbeth P3, which also metal tweeters if I remember
update: I compared the Gallo CL2's that I got on closeout for $390 to the Kef LS50 today at a dealer. I preferred the Gallos in every way. More detailed, wider soundstage, much faster sounding, blacker background and deeper bass. If you like speakers to relax you, no matter what music they are playing, the LS50's are for you, they make me sleepy. If you want to be engaged and excited listening to music, the Gallos are much better. End of story.
Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to build Home theater and to start with I am looking for two Bookshelf speakers. Budget is <$500 new/used. 

Currently I have Samsung 65KS8500 and Oppo 203 Blu Ray Player.

Should I go with amplifier, cheapest one for now and two book shelf speakers? If so, what are my brand/choices. Please guide me.

Thanks in advance.

CL1 for $200 is a good deal,  good speaker...the CL2 for sometimes not much more is better...
Klipsch KG 4's...with that amp will keep you smiling.I had that combo in a studio for several years and it often stopped work to just "listen". The bass was right on.
ps they had the Crites upgrade.
If you can find a pair of Tekton 4.1's even better.
Have fun.