Best speakers under $500? Fire away!

Looking for suggestions for budget speakers under $500.  Can be floor or bookshelf.  
Let's hear the suggestions for the experts out there!

Thank you
34dean

Showing 4 responses by phasecorrect

Great thread, as I was in a similar dilemna. If you live in a larger market, then going used has greater reward. Most audiophiles snub Klipsch, but I recently acquired some RF 3 floorstanders and have been impressed. These are a bit older so the market has plummeted. <$400. [Review: TNT audio]. Great "boogie factor" for classic rock, no need for stands or a sub: full range. If you must go new, Primus 36x floorstander is a good choice with solid reviews. Others might argue for a bookshelf, but again, those require stands, and depending upon model , often a sub. Listening tastes will also dictate your choice.

Oversight: OP already has Klipsch, which was the direction I would be leaning with a Nad 3020 (which I have owned). Granted, Klipsch sound is not for everybody, myself included at times, but at this price point, there are adherent sacrifices. Fwiw, MA RS6 (stereophile fave) pop up in my area from time to time for $500 or so, just a thought.
Really hard to beat BA in this category. Their new A series with a return to a dome tweeter is a nice addition. In the used market I prefer the older lines that dont utilize the V metal tweeter. These are plentiful and affordable, although some might need refoaming.