best speakers on AGON for about $500

Here's the story. My father loves Jazz and Blues. He still owns many old LP's dating back to his single days in the sixties. Back then he had a Sansui Receiver, Sansui record player, and a pair of Acoustic Research AR3's. Since 40 or so years have gone by, he has nothing left except the LP's and no way to listen to them (it's been this way for about 20 years).
A couple of months ago, while listening to my own system, I remembered how much he liked his music. So, I thought, why not put together a budget system for him for a Christmas Present.
So far the only thing I have bought is a B&K Pro10mc Preamplifier. I plan to pair it with something along the lines of a B&K ST-140,ST-202, EX442, etc. It's just a matter of time before I buy one of these amps mentioned.
This post is to try to get some opinions of speakers available here on AGON now, or commonly available for about $500 give or take. Not interested in rare hard to find speakers. Just ones I will have a chance of getting in a timely manner. A few names that come to mind are EPOS, Vienna, Usher, Quad, Paradigm and more. What do you think would pair nicely with these electronics and his old LPs? Keep in mind I'm not interested in rare hard to find speakers. Just ones I will have a chance of getting in a timely manner here on AGON/Ebay. Thanks for the input.
jdfelice

Showing 6 responses by jdfelice

Thanks guys, I have thought about the VR1's. Don't know why I forgot about those. Good suggestions.

Reubent, no preference, just the price range.

More info, the speakers will be in a semi large room.
and
speakers with a bright/lively top end would be great, my father has some hi-frequency hearing loss. He misses the highs he used to hear, therefore when he hears good tweeters with good imaging and soundstage, he likes it.

What about Dali, don't the Helicon's have a dome tweeter and a ribbon? Are they in this price range when used?
Good Point Michael. I'll check into them some more. At one time I was very interested in these for myself, I just could not accommodate the placement requirements.
Those are some pretty big compliments for the 300ti's. Since I have never hear them or of them, I'm a little tentative. As nice as they may be, do you guys all feel I can't get a better speaker for $500. If this was your budget, is that what you would buy?
cleaneduphippy, I thought about that, there is a pair of AR3a's on AGON right now. I think when it comes to sound quality, he has heard my PS Audio, Jolida, Usher X-719 system, and I think he likes the newer technology. He has commented several times about how much sound comes from a monitor compared to his older AR3's. There are so many good speakers, I think I should concentrate on filling his rather large room. It's about 25x25 with 3 connecting hallways, one of which is a staircase going to another level. Does that sound big to you? Would the Maggies excell in these conditions over some monitors?
Thanks, for the input hippy.
I'm using the JD100A CDP and a PS Audsio 6.2 preamp. I have for sale of my Sherbourn 5/1500A home theater amp, to upgrade to a better 2 channel amp. I'm thinking about a PS Audio HCA-2.

What about the EPOS ELS303, ever heard them?