Best speakers for Pioneer SX-1250 receiver

SOME QUESTIONS PLEASE REGARDING A VINTAGE PIONEER SX-1250 RECEIVER (160 WATTS PER CHANNEL INTO 8 OHMS/200 WATTS PER CHANNEL INTO 4 OHMS). WHAT ABOUT THIEL 2.5 OR PROAC 2.3 OR SOME OTHER USED SPEAKERS IN SAME PRICE RANGE AS THIEL/PROAC. DUE TO THE AGE OF THIS UNIT, WOULD IT BE ADVISABLE TO UPGRADE THE POWER CORD TO A IEC CONNECTION THAT WOULD ALLOW FOR A VARITY OF POWER CORDS. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS UNIT THAT IS IN GREAT CONDITION? THANKS.
wepratt
I had more than one of these more years ago than I want to think about. All the speakers I used then are hard to find now. In my memory they had a lot of power but could sound hard. I would stay away from any speaker that might be a little bright already. Older B&Ws or others with a softer treble should work. stan
I like the old ADS line of speakers, they show up here on Audiogon once in a while. I would think they would sound great with the Pioneer.

Dave
I used Acoustic Research AR-11's with this model receiver for twenty two years, than I found this web site. Upgraded to Denon AVR-4800 and Energy Veritas V2.2 with Mirage BPS-150i subs.The receiver is back in its box in a closet. The AR-11's are in my bedroom with a Denon PMA-2000 and TU-1500.
Regards
Rich
I was thinking of selling my Rotel 1570 integrated amp (DSP) and replacing with a completely renovated Pioneer SX-1250. I would be listening through my GoldenEar Triton Five towers. Thoughts? Will an extra added benefit be that I'll now be running pure analog power through the GoldenEar Fives. DSP sounds really "digital" to me, in a flat two-dimensional way. I am confused. I'm not getting the full range of power I feel I need with the Rotel 1570.  I would appreciate all of your experience and thoughts regarding how to maximize the performance of the Triton Five speakers.

Vintage monster receivers are a whole different audio experience and would not be my choice for a system aimed at accurate sound reproduction. I have several (Kenwood KR 9600, (2) Marantz 2325, Sansui G9000, and Pioneer SX-1050) and enjoy listening to them with vintage speakers and turntables of the day as an alternative to my hi-end rig when I get in the mood for vintage rock and even blues. I would buy the excellent SX-1250 with that type of system in mind and add Pioneer’s SG-9500 analog EQ.

Hopefully experienced and grounded owners of GoldenEar speakers can provide a better direction for you with your existing system.

Dave

i like the ads recommendation above--try the 1290, 1590, etc. alternatively, acoustic research of the same vintage
Actually Thiel CS2 thru 3.5's would sound great with your Pioneer - I know from experience with my SX1050. My gf now has it with a pair of Meadowlark Kestrels - all purchased used here on the site. I love the Pioneers. 

ADS as well. Had those with a Marantz 2250b receiver. I've avoided "vintage" AR's and the like simply because most of them appear more compromised than the others I've mentioned, and purchased. Klipsch Heresies sound great on the old receivers as well. 

There is some thinking that the old receivers sound "old", but to my ears they simply sound different. Any piece of equipment that's 40 years old and still sounds good deserves respect!  Good luck!
I went to my tech with my SX1050 to see if he could put an iec to replace the wimpy stock power cord and he said it wouldn't be worth the effort. There just isn't the room sufficient to cut and modify the back. He replaced the power cord with a newer, slightly beefier cord and all has been good. Keep it as stock as possible!
Klipsch Heresies would really rock (as oblgny stated) but might sound brittle at high volume. I would try them or maybe a pair of Bose 901s on stands. That would be a fun system. BTW I had the 901s and the equalizer help smooth out the freq band in the room.
Two things. First, make sure it is recapped, or you will be playing Russian roulette with your speakers. Don't bother changing the power cord, unless it is damaged. Second, beware of older speakers. Speakers do age, and not just the capacitors in the crossover network. Cone surrounds in particular will often have dried out.