Best speakers for max. $3000?

I would like to upgrade to some new speakers and I might have a maximum of $3000 to spend if all goes well.
I don't care if they are new or used but my real world experience is limited so I am asking the experts!   I know it is subjective.
  I have Mirage OM-7s now with a HSU sub.  My amp is a Bryston 100B SST.  
Also, I have a chance to buy a set of Thiel CS 2.4s. I plan to try them.   Thanks for any advice!
rmcfee
My vote for the Maggie 1.7i with a REL sub of some kind. They serve me amazing. Auditioned Focal, PSB, GoldenEar and  KEF in the range and walked away with the Maggie's. ALMOST walked away with the Vandersteens though, so second on those as well.
this is a no brainer.    $1000 sub + $2000 full range mains like REVEL F206s (or other top quality full range speakers), you can easily find a $4000 combo for under $3k.  This combo will be fantastic for the money
Your best value will always be a good DIY design.  It's not even close.  No commercial loudspeaker can ever come close to what you can build yourself.   There are any number of truly excellent designs out there.  And if you don't have the ability to fabricate your own enclosures, any competent cabinet maker can knock them out for you for a shockingly small amount of money.   

The Linkwitz LXmini design dramatically outperforms any commercial loudspeaker under $3k.  You can build it, WITH amplification, for about $1100.  That's what I did last year for a buddy of mine.   If you can push your budget to about $4k, you could build the flagship Linkwitz LX521 system and have sound that compares to commercial systems in the $50,000+ category.

There are any number of excellent designs at madisound.com as well.
Absolutely LOVE my Tekton Double impact monitors, depending on the size of your room you could get the full size Double Impacts and reach the sky. The word "monitors" is not a very good description as they are quite large and more than fill my 14x30 listening space, just ask my neighbors! 60day money back guarantee too. 
It appears that only one person has actually addressed your original question. Responding to it, plus a few other things as follows:

1) It is likely your speakers causing the fatigue. The OM7 have an upward tilt in the higher frequencies and reviews them commented about them having some glare.

2) Your room could be contributing to the glare. I always suggest treating the first reflection points (free information on GIK Acoustics site and they will make recommendations for your room for free and have great products at good prices).

3) You need to decide what speaker type speaks to you. Your current speakers are a bipolar design. If you like the more diffuse sound they bring, a dipolar Magnepan may fill your need. My reluctance for you with a Magnapan is that your amp may not have enough power depending on your volume levels. The LRS is an amazing value and would leave a lot of money in your pocket. People tend to love or hate bipolar and dipolar speakers. They do some things well, others not so much. I have large Magnepans and love them, but that doesn’t make them correct for you.

4) Some have suggest horns. Horns have amazing dynamics but sacrifice in other areas. You have to listen to some (Klipsch being most he most common brand and well developed) and decide if they fit your likes. Again, they tend to be love it or hate them.

5) Monopolar dynamic speakers are the most common design. Different manufactures have different philosophies about what is most important in design and what they are willing to trade off (i.e. phase coherence, efficiency, bass extension, off axis response characteristics, cabinet design, tonal balance, etc.). Again, you have to pick what you find important. The Thiel you propose are great speakers, with my only concern being parts availability as Thiel is gone. The Vandersteen 2CE Sig 2 are another excellent suggestion, as are the suggestions of Ascent Acoustics and Salk Sound. The used suggestion of Aerials or Revels are also great.

6) I would not allocate money towards a subwoofer right now as some are suggesting. You indicate you have a Hsu subwoofer, and even their older Sonotube based subs (Like the 1220) were good sounding.