Best speakers for max. $3000?

I would like to upgrade to some new speakers and I might have a maximum of $3000 to spend if all goes well.
I don't care if they are new or used but my real world experience is limited so I am asking the experts!   I know it is subjective.
  I have Mirage OM-7s now with a HSU sub.  My amp is a Bryston 100B SST.  
Also, I have a chance to buy a set of Thiel CS 2.4s. I plan to try them.   Thanks for any advice!
rmcfee
 I know everyone wants to mention the speakers they happen to own.  I'm no different.  :-)  

I did quite a few auditions last year (including Tekton DI), and ended up with a used set of Revel F208s for $3k.  They should punch above the $3k speakers mentioned (I have not compared them all) because they are $5k speakers, because Harman is a good speaker company, and they have gotten excellent reviews.  I see them here regularly for around $3k used.  
Having owned both open baffle and box speakers, there's nothing like the openness of open baffle. In your range I highly recommend the Emerald Physics KCIIs. They are offering a ridiculous special right now. Hurry 
I ran a pair of Reference 3A Venna with same Bryston amp for three years.  They are a great match.   Usually available used.
New, I would get Vandersteen 2Ce Sig II. Those are one of the biggest bargains in high end audio. But those Thiels will be even better overall, especially if you upgrade the crossover components. Tom Thiel is working on an upgrade kit.
My vote for the Maggie 1.7i with a REL sub of some kind. They serve me amazing. Auditioned Focal, PSB, GoldenEar and  KEF in the range and walked away with the Maggie's. ALMOST walked away with the Vandersteens though, so second on those as well.