Best speakers for around 1000

A friend of mine lost everything in tropical storm Allison. He is just getting around to replacing his stereo and is looking for suggestions. I'm trying to talk him into buying something used to get more bang for his $$$, but he's not convinced he wants to go that route.

Don't know what his front end is (talked to his wife who didn't have a clue). These will be used to listen mainly to classical, some rock. They have a young daughter (7) so stability is somewhat of an issue, as is the WAF (nothing huge/clunky). Any suggestions in this range, both new and used? He was looking at some Infinity, and I obviously thought he could do much better.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
jwilt

Showing 1 response by joe_b

I have recently "downsized" my living room system into something that looks better than my old Vandersteen 2ce's. I was prepared to spend up to $3k on speakers and the best things I heard in this price range were Proac Response 1.5. I also liked the look of the Vienna Acoustics Bach and Mahler, but since they had to go close to the wall, the Vienna's were eliminated. I ended up with B&W DM602 s2 which cost all of $600, plus another $40. No the B&W's are not Proac's but they sound a lot better than you would think for $600. They don't have the bass of the Vandersteen's but they have a better midrange, image better and can play louder. My wife, who is very picky, has not objected to their looks. The B&W's are also easy to drive.