Best speakers for about $3500

Hi All,

I would appreciate some input on my next speaker purchase. I want to spend no more than $3500. I have a Krell 400xi amp. I listen mostly to rock/jazz on vinyl. I have an Innersound phono pre, VPI Scout, and a ZYX cartridge. My dedicated listening room is on the second floor and is about 12 x 14. I prefer full range speakers but don't need to fill an auditorium.

In the past, I have owned B&W Matrix 802s and loved them. In my opinnion, the nicest speakers I have ever heard were B&W Nautilus 802s. Alas, I can't afford them. Notably, I owned a pair of DM 604s for about a week. They were the most disappointing speaker purchase I have ever made.

So I am considering Nautilus 803s though I would be really dissappointed if they were closer to the 604s than the 802s. But I also have access to a very good deal on Gallo Acoustics ref 3.5s. I have heard the Gallos and, while they sound nice, did not compete with the N802s. However, it is not fair to compare the Gallos to the much more expensive 802s. How would they match up to the 803s? Moreover, it seems that I might not be considering all of the great speakers in my price range. For example, I stumbled across a pair of Talon Khorus speakers for $3200. Based on their $15k retail price, I bet they don't suck. Or how about a pair of Wilson Cubs.

Thanks for the feedback, Jim
jwit

Showing 1 response by deank

I own Nate's original prototype transmission line speakers, and I think they are terrific. My Quad 63s have been idle since Nate's speakers showed up, if that provides insight. And, oh yeah, his little monitors are no slouches either.