Best speakers for a small room

Hello all, I'm looking for recommendations for best speakers for a small room. Room is 125 square feet with 10 foot ceiling. 10k budget.  Ideas?

128x128jazzguy1958

Any LS3/5A type ( sealed woofer ) should fit the bill! Harbeth, Spendor, Falcon, Stirling, etc., etc., all make them!

For actives, either LS60 or a pair of Cabasse pearl. I've heard both in tiny listening rooms  (tinier than your dimensions) and they sound surprisingly good for near-field less than 2 meters, especially LS60. LS60 is more refined, colored and laid back. Pearl is slightly less refined but less colored and more fun, and you can put them on TV console without stands. 

For passives, I may be more partial towards Cabasse because I'm using one now but I believe Riga and Baltic are perfect for small rooms and have extremely high WAF. If not Cabasse, I would get Sonus Faber Electa Amator III, Triangle Magellan Duetto, or Focal Sopra No 1. 

Anything with a rolled off bass because you will get a good bit of room gain below 60hz. Size of the speaker does not matter too much but how low it reaches will. Simple fix is just to use want ever speaker you want and EQ the bass.

yogiboy
4,603 posts
07-03-2022 at 06:57am
“ …Any LS3/5A type ( sealed woofer ) should fit the bill! Harbeth, Spendor, Falcon, Stirling, etc., etc., all make them!…”

PLAN A = +1 as my first choice …because of your modest room size.

- with a nod to the HARBETH smaller standmount = HARBETH P3ESR XD
- One note of caution: all HARBETH speakers crave an “open form ” speaker stand (e.g. Tontraeger) to perform at their best.

PLAN B = TRIANGLE COMETE 40th Anniversary from France.

- Given your small room dimensions I would heartily these front ported standmounts to permit a closer positioning to the boundary walls.

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1582-triangle-40th-anniversary-comete-loudspeakers

What is your equipment? What kind of sound do you like… are there aspects you want… great imaging? Coherence? High level of detail? Musical? Warm? Cool?

Sounds like you like Jazz… other genera? Room dimensions (10 x 12)? Any kind of speakers you have particularly liked in the past? Putting some photos of the room under your UserID would be really useful. Do you have complete control of the room? Or is placement negotiated?

My first decision might be technology based of preferred sound… Planar? Dynamic, AMT/Dynamic. Then towers vs stand + subwoofer.

Then bass heavy like B&W, really natural / musical like Sonus Faber… Martin Logan, Maggie’s? Totem are great punchy and pleasantly natural.