?Best speakers for a 2000 sq.ft loft?

I'm moving into an open 2000 square foot loft with 2 windowed walls and concrete floor and 12 foot concrete ceiling. I listen mostly to classical 2 channel music, and think my ML SL3'3 will get lost.
?Suggestions for speakers?
128x128fstein

Showing 1 response by audiokinesis

I agree, your SL3's will get lost. At the kind of distances involved in a 2000 square foot room, hybrids are out. This is because the panel will approximate a line souce while the woofer acts as a point source, and sound pressure level will fall off more rapidly with distance for the woofer than for the panel. So the SL3's will sound thin and weak in that room.

I have no idea what your budget is, and unfortunately that's a significant part of the equation. Also, what are the acoustics like - is the room echo-y? I'd hate to think what it would cost to acoustically treat a room that size, so we'd need a speaker that would work well with what you've got.

The ideal speaker would have good timbre, high efficiency, and a well-controlled radiation pattern. That big room could end up being a marvellous blessing or a hideous curse, and it will largely depend on the choice of speakers.

Also, can you describe the place in more detail? I'm not entirely sure that what I picture in my mind when I hear the word "loft" is necessarily what you intend.

I realize I haven't answered your question at all. Sorry, but I don't have enough information to get started yet.

Best wishes!