Best speakers for $300/pr

I have a friend who has owned KLH 6’s for lo these many years.
He wants to upgrade.  He’s getting a new Marantz receiver and doesn’t want to spend more than about $300 for his speakers.  Can he get anything decent at that price level?
128x128rvpiano
I have disappointing news.  His “mid-fi” mentality has been revealed.
After hearing one of the very well touted speakers recommended here,
he found the violin sound not as mellifluous as his KLH speakers (he’s mainly  a classical music listener.)
So I think he’s sticking with the KLH.

You can lead a horse to water....

Thanks for all the suggestions though.  I had no idea good sound could be achieved in that price range.

Check out Philharmonic Audio outstanding sound at reasonable prices. They have an Accuracy Monitor for $290.00
The problem is you get used to a certain sound and even if you hear something superior, you don't always realize it when you hear it.  Having been in this hobby for 30 years, I believe we all have an aural memory such as I've described above.  That is why when I make any change in my system, I like to live with the different gear so that the new sound grows on me.  
Now, just to drive me crazy, my friend I has decided to hold on to his old Marantz receiver and is now looking at Best Buy for Klipsch speakers, which no one recommended!
Try and help someone!!!