Best speakers for $300/pr

I have a friend who has owned KLH 6’s for lo these many years.
He wants to upgrade.  He’s getting a new Marantz receiver and doesn’t want to spend more than about $300 for his speakers.  Can he get anything decent at that price level?
128x128rvpiano
There are many popular speakers I can think of that retail for $400, but for $300(new), the Elac Debut 2.0s are probably best. 
Seems like the KLH 6's were $250-$300 when new. How much is that in today's dollars? IMHO, $300 will get something different for sure, but not likely an upgrade. Since he has had them that long, are they just sitting on the floor or sitting on a short tilted stand? Is there a problem with them that needs repair?
Post removed 
Post removed 
I'd make a bid on these Silverline Minuets that are far more than decent...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253891672222?ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F7...

Or if he prefers to buy new, these Aperions are very decent and a good value as they're on sale and sold direct...
https://www.aperionaudio.com/collections/intimus-speakers/products/intimus-5b-bookshelf-speaker-pair...

Maybe have @grannyring make him some Dueland speaker cables and interconnects if he needs decent wires too. 

Best of luck. 
The Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 is <$350 shipped and is pretty much unmatched for the price.
I recently purchased LSA .5 monitors for $400 (new) and could not be happier. They easily bettered my Maggie MG12s in terms of tone and inner detail.
Hands down Paradigm Monitor SE Atoms.  Go audition them and I dare you to disagree.
Speakers previously suggested all represent a viable choice, as would many others. I would include Wharfdale (new and often on sale). 

Be careful to match the speaker choice to the power output of the Marantz receiver, loudness levels desired, size of room, musical tastes. What are these factors?

Check out Music Direct, Parts Connection, Audio Advisor. All have quality speakers at that price point on sale. Also if your friend would consider used, AG classifieds. I purchased a pair of B&W 685 at that price point from this site. 
Have two pairs of vintage ADS speakers,L420 and L620.Nice speakers and less than $300 as is other ADS speaker models.
$300 can go a very long way on the used market.  It depends on his listening preferences (rock, classical, jazz), room size, how powerful the Marantz is and if he wants monitors or floor standing speakers.  Too many variations to start mentioning brands at this point until the above is known.  

Once the above is known then you can tailor his needs towards a certain sound from speaker manufacturers.  British 2 way monitors have a certain sound to them, sweet and disappearing, that I tend to like very much but may not be for everyone depending on their musical tastes.  

Please keep us posted,
Lou
I have disappointing news.  His “mid-fi” mentality has been revealed.
After hearing one of the very well touted speakers recommended here,
he found the violin sound not as mellifluous as his KLH speakers (he’s mainly  a classical music listener.)
So I think he’s sticking with the KLH.

You can lead a horse to water....

Thanks for all the suggestions though.  I had no idea good sound could be achieved in that price range.

Check out Philharmonic Audio outstanding sound at reasonable prices. They have an Accuracy Monitor for $290.00
The problem is you get used to a certain sound and even if you hear something superior, you don't always realize it when you hear it.  Having been in this hobby for 30 years, I believe we all have an aural memory such as I've described above.  That is why when I make any change in my system, I like to live with the different gear so that the new sound grows on me.  
Now, just to drive me crazy, my friend I has decided to hold on to his old Marantz receiver and is now looking at Best Buy for Klipsch speakers, which no one recommended!
Try and help someone!!!
One thing to keep in mind, at that price there are frequently speakers that are produced in pretty high quantities.  It's not too hard to find big discounts.  Since people buying in this price range aren't particularly discerning usually, you may find a speaker that was very good at $600 for $300.  Who knows why it didn't sell.  Maybe it didn't have the right look or the boom and sizzle that sounds good at first but terrible in the long run.  
Rvpiano, Yea, it can be frustrating when helping a friend with audio. I am not sure your friend wouldn't be better off keeping the KLHs rather then purchasing the Klipschs from best buy.  Maybe take a little time to figure out what he/she actually wants to do.
There is a pair of Philharmonic speakers available on Audiocircle for $150.00 now.