Best speakers for 3 cord rock and roll

I'm looking to set up a 2 channel system to primarily listen old fashioned R&R (Beatles, Stones, Ramones) and some classic country (Cash, Nelson,Williams). What's better for this type of music - cones or planars? My budget is $2k for a used pair.
scott_wojo
Shadorne - curious, why not Horn Shoppes?

I don't think that small 4 inch drivers can keep up with bass requirements of rock and roll...that is all. I guess in my minds eye I see "The Who" with stacked JBL's and big woofers as the epitomy of speakers of that "Animal House" era and not something more suited to modern domestic use, such as the nice looking and very easy to drive Horn Shoppes. I have nothing against Horn Shoppes but it just didn't strike me as quite the best fit in a largish room...

Shadorne: >>> "I don't think that small 4 inch drivers can keep up with bass requirements of rock and roll...that is all." <<<

Even if someone hose-clamps a set around their cranium?
keep an eye out for snell c4 or c5's; my friend in Mn had c5's and was into rock and roll with bass; the c5's did the job for him.
Shadorne - I can understand your skepticism. I too was an unbeliever about these small drivers/boxes. Granted, I have only heard them in a small room driven by a 10wpc chip amp (BYOB), but even there they astounded and confounded me. Their ability to produce clean, clear rock at high SPLs was shocking, considering the size of the Horns and amp. My brain is still knotted up over this. A kind gentleman has offerred me another opportunity to hear them, this time in a large room (17'x24'x10'), driven by tubes. I will report back about this trial within the next couple of weeks.