Best speakers for $1500 or less?

I'm loving the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 - better than B & W and Magnepan, from what I've heard at similar price. What else should I be checking out? Thanks!
doublenickelsonthedime

Showing 5 responses by doublenickelsonthedime

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Wow, I've now tried quite a few different speakers. Fun but also stressful! I've tried B&W, Paradigm, Magnepan (few different models), Dynaudio X12, Audio Monitor RX6 (surprisingly underwhelmed), Vandersteen (1ci - also underwhelmed), and today I just tried the Martin Logan Motion 20. I keep wanting to like a floorstanding speaker, but keep coming back to the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5. I would say my second favorite was the Dynaudio X12. However, today, I was really surprised with the quality of the Martin Logan Motion 20; caveat on that - Magnolia (Best Buy) is including a ML subwoofer for free if you buy the Motion 20 or 40. I have to say that the Motion 20 with the ML subwoofer sounded great! Anyone else hear these? I have a relatively small living room - 11 by 16 - so not sure if I want to go with the big monitor or the small floorstanding. Thoughts on the Martin Logan Motion series welcome. Thanks!
Thanks for the reply. Agree. I listened to both the 20s and the 40s. I have a pretty small living room, so the 20s should do fine. Do you think these would pair well with either the Rogue integrated amps - Sphinx or Cronus (that's the direction I'm going - starting from scratch)?
Well, thanks to all for great suggestions. In the last month, I've gone to 6 different hi-fi stores, some 2 or 3 times. I've auditioned many - maybe most - of the suggestions here. It's so hard to compare apples to apples (different size rooms, different amplifiers, etc.). In the end, I narrowed it down to the Martin Logan Motion 20s and Totem Sttafs. I use the word "captivating" to describe the Sttafs, though I've learned that they're not for everybody's taste. They are truly a very musical speaker. A little weak, admittedly, on the low end, but overall in the $1500-2000 range they turned out to be my favorite. Love the natural, laid back sound, and they seem very fast and responsive. If need be, maybe I'll add a sub at some point. I will again say that no one should sell the ML Motion 20s or 40s short - they are great speakers for the price. I got an excellent deal on the Sttafs, btw. Now, my final challenge to put my system together - speaker cables! SUGGESTIONS? I don't really want to spend much more than $200. My amp is the Rogue Cronus (not the Magnum version), if that matters (and I know some swear it does). Thanks for being kind to this novice...