Best Speakers at RMAF 2011...?

What speakers impressed you at RMAF 2011 and why?
Anything underwhelming, despite the hype?

I found the following to be very intriguing and impressive.
- In no particular order:

1) Magico Q1
2) Totem Element (Fire)
3) Avalon Idea
4) Totem Hawk? (Hegel Room)
5) Evolution Acoustics MM Micro One
6) Joseph Speakers, Perspective

These speakers seemed to have a very good mix of macro and micro dynamics, bass response, articulation, musicality, sound stage and a seemingly limitless high frequency range.

At $2k, the Evolution Acoustics may be a bargain of the bunch.

Appreciate your thoughts...!
optimus
You know Sprks, this was already covered in that other thread. I'm surprised with your claimed intimate knowledge of that thread that you missed it.

AireAudio and Luvs2listen are both the same guy. I created an account for a distributorship with Arte Forma Audio gear, and I accidentally posted under that name again instead of signing in with the name I use for responding to Vapor questions.

Yes, it's me. Busted. Feel all better now?

So, who are you Mr. Disclosure? Care to come clean, or will you simply sit in the sty and continue to fling the mud?

Grow up will ya?
You guys are amusing. So you bump up an 8 month old thread to cause problems? Why? How are you making the forum a better place by doing so?

You talk of disclosure, how about each of you man up as I said before and say who you really are? You're obviously not just some concerned citizen. My guess is you're either somebody with some sort of axe to grind, or a competitor hiding behind a keyboard trying to bring down the new guy who's getting all the buzz. Which is it?
I am confused now, is Aireaudio and Luvs2listen the same guy?

Raytheprinter, as I recall the Vapor Audio demo was done after hours in one of the YG Acoustics room and I think the equipment used was supplied by Emperical Audio. The amps he uses are the modded Parasound JC-1's and other modded sources.

Anyways, the tone I see from Luvs2listen (Aireaudio?) pretty much matches what went down with the last Vapor Audio thread regarding customer service issues. That thread was deleted unfortunately.
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2011/10/18/rmaf-2011-empirical-audio-yg-mach2music-bpt/

YG Kipod II Signature ($49k) were fronted by Empirical-modified JC-1 amps from Parasound ($10k), with the signal coming from SteveÂ’s new DAC, fed by a Mach2Music Mac Mini server
One last point and then I'm done with you.

The reason I said that I'd like to hear the Cirrus again after the demo at RMAF, is because I don't own them, and no one anywhere near me has a set either. NOT EVEN RYAN. That's right Rosey. The owner of Vapor doesn't own a set of Cirrus. As fast as he makes them, they go out the door. Typically, when one is completed, it's up for a few days to break in and get measurements, and then it's gone. There's nothing set up in the listening room right now, and the last set I got to listen to was over a month ago. Since RMAF, I've gotten maybe four whole hours in front of a Cirrus. And up until this past May, I'd made a grand total of zero dollars "shilling" for Ryan in my hundreds of posts here at Audiogon.

Quit picking on Branislav too. He likes his set of Cirrus. Maybe he doesn't like amateur detectives throwing wild assertions around.

Quit looking for Boris Badenov around every corner, and go listen to some music instead.
Yeah, I did help. I sat and listened to a couple of crossover iterations that Ryan put together for the Breeze.

What is your beef anyway? You mean the fans of various speakers shouldn't voice their opinions without disclosing they're fans?

Give it a rest.
Luvs2listen, you are digging a hole here. You helped design the Vapor Audio Breeze as stated on Parts Express under a RAAL thread so you were affiliated with Vapor Audio then and now. You did not disclose your affilitation with the company or speaker when you posted this 11-16-11

The Vapor Breeze is well under your $3000 price at $1250, but it uses very high end components. RAAL 70-10D up high and the Wavecor 6" symmetric drive Nomex cone. After hearing them in Chicago a few weeks ago, your comments on needing clarity and imaging made me respond with the Breeze suggestion. It's a smaller monitor, but your music choices seem like a perfect fit.
Luvs2listen

Pete, still think it is a conspiracy? Here is your quote from Parts Express on 2-10-12 under RAAL Ribbon Tweeters, What's the Big Deal?
The Vapor Breeze has been out since at least August 2011

Vapor uses RAAL, and so does Salk. I helped design the Vapor Breeze, and might be able to bring a set for the gang to hear.

I don't know about anyone else but it sure seems very clear to me that you were shilling for Vapor Audio in at least 3 threads.

What other things are you guys pulling over there?
You know Rose, you have an active imagination.

That post you cited referred to a speaker system I was working on for a friend in Detroit who had no relation to Vapor. The design was conceived and implemented outside of Vapor, with the entire build thread documented over at Parts Express. It was a follow up design on a big 3-way I had designed for myself, and the cabinet maker wanted to make a mini version incorporating some of the design elements he wanted to see in the cabinets that weren't in my original. Convenient of you to leave out that part. It became the Aurora only after the effort was complete. Ryan's total contribution to that public effort was the suggestion that maybe the Vifa 8" woofer would be an option among the many choices we had going in. The design and construction was a group effort among the guys at Parts Express, with one guy producing a prototype waveguide that I evaluated with a number of tweeters. I designed the crossover, took the measurements, and Ed Rosenquist built the cabinets. Ed even produced baffles with that waveguide for other members of the board to use in their DIY builds.

I disclosed my relationship with Ryan, and until recently, we were friends with no business relationship. I had no involvement in the establishing of Vapor, or in the early design efforts. My review of my experience at RMAF was prior to my coming to work with Ryan on a regular basis. I started working with Ryan in May. You'll notice that my post here preceded that date by quite a few months.

Drop this conspiracy nonsense.

By the way, Salk still produces some of my favorite speakers of all time. I'm a big fan of the Archos, and was at it's debut at a DIY event in Indiana. I was also there when he launched his very first Veracity design at DIY Iowa back in 2003. I've promoted his stuff ever since, and call them as I see them. I even conversed with the crossover designer of the Soundscape after a demo of the "10" here in StL and shared my impressions.
Branislav, as someone that also came from the complaint thread I think Rose75 is stating some very imformative facts here about Luvs2listen. You have conspiracy theories but have nothing to say now regarding how these guys are conducting business? It seems to me for some unknown reason you to have a dog in the fight. Why are you protecting the shills on this thread? After everything that went down in the last thread these facts reinstate my suspicions.

Eric.
It would be very hard for me to believe that such responses would be written by someone with no chip on their shoulder, axe to grind or certain bitterness of resentment (maybe stemming from some unknown previous experiences). In that case though, I believe that should be disclosed at the end of every response just as much as a possible affiliation with a certain product.
Branislav, better think again because this is what Pete Shumacher had to say regarding a Vapor Audio speaker on Parts Express tech talk under the Vapor Sound thread on 10-9-11. His post here wasn't until November. So, he posted a positive for the Vapor Audio Cirrus and acted like he has never seen or heard them before even though he spends time at Vapors shop. It just doesn't look to cool to me when I see someone like Pete saying his competiton (Salk) had a tad recessed midrange and acts like he has never seen or heard the Cirrus before. Below is Pete talking about the woofer they picked for the Vapor Audio Aurora on the tech talk thread and I really think Pete needed to state his affiliation with Vapor Audio before posting what he did in this thread. He has done the same in other threads as well which ruins credibility and after that last thread regarding Vapor Audio was closed I felt the need to do a little more research and ran into the Vapor Sound thread on Parts Express tech talk.

Pete's post on 10-9-11

Now you know why we picked it!!! That really is one heck of a nice woofer, and your assessment of the midrange capabilities is spot on. Even when the stand up bass is filling the room, the vocals come through with nary a flutter, just as clear as rocky mountain spring water. The cone profile and vanishing Le allow that woofer to reach nearly 10KHz before rolling off, and no real nasties along the way. Getting it to cross at 1000Hz was very simple. It could easily be coaxed higher than that to just the right tweeter.

The next version may just have the RAAL 140-15D up top instead of a waveguide loaded dome. The woofer is that good.

Pete was abviously helping design the Vapor products at this time and even went on to say that he was excited to bring them to Chicago. Not an employee at this time? Either way he has a very strong affiliation!

Check his other posts regarding Vapor Audio. This is not the first time he has been called out for not sharing his affiliation with the company.

Vapor1, I am just trying to state the facts here. There's no reason to get so snippy. I think other members need to know these facts and forums are used to state facts or opinions to the best of our knowledge. Pete is obviously trying to sell for you and was hiding under Luvs2listen until just recently so I think the manning up comment should have been directed more toward him and not me. I am not the one shilling under an alias. Are you still going to deny that Pete had no affiliation with Vapor Audio while posting in these threads?
Rose75 is obviously somebody posting under an alias, somebody who created another username to try and cast any negative light on my business as possible. I just have no idea why, because I have no idea who he is. Most of his posts in that 'other' thread got deleted, but his intention is obvious.

How about you man up and say who you are, and why you have such a problem with what we're doing here at Vapor Audio. Even better, instead of polluting another thread, how about you send me an email saying why.
Conspiracies again...I was at that meeting and as far as I know Pete wasn't an employee at the time. Good try though...
Luvs2listen (Pete Schumacher) shame on you. You are an employee of Vapor Audio and post that you would love to hear the Cirrus again? You need tell people that you are affiliated and help sell Vapor Audio products before posting. You have already voiced on parts express tech talk on 10-9-11 under Vapor Sound that you help pick drivers for Vapor Audio and help setup audio shows with them. Of course you are going to say the Nola's are dreadful and Salk had recessed mids, Salk is your direct competition. WOW!
Rebbi, I didn't recall hearing it so I looked them up. I don't think I heard them, sorry.
I thought the Ventures were clearly the best, but also too expensive. Considering price the little $800/pair LSA.5s were the clear winner, IMHO.
HI,heard Q1 at Ears Nova and Joseph speaker at another dealer.Know as soon as you say somthing bad about certain company your thread is gone.Sorry have a nice day.
Ebm,
Didn't you start a RMAF Q1 thread, that mysteriously disappeared? In it, you've asked about the Q1 performance at RMAF, since you have not attended the show. Did you transported yourself into the past ,retract that thread, and did attended the RMAF after all?
Joseph sounded wonderful MAGICO Q1 sounded Dry and are VERY overpriced at $25k there were much better speakers for much less.
The Salk sounscapes and the vandersteen 7's

Would have loved to have heard the Salk's with the arc gear
In no particular order, below were my favorites:

- TAD - both models
- Vandersteens - 7 with ARC Ref gear
- Wilson Sashas with the the Doshi electronics
- Nola Baby Grands with ARC electronics
- Revel Studio 2s w/ Levinson electronics (sounded terrific on Sunday)
- Sonus Faber Futuras with ARC and Wadia
- MBLs
- PMCs with Bryston front end and amps
- Martin Logan with McInstosh
- Evolution Acoustics stand MMC1 driven by DartZeel - a steal at $2,500 with stands
- New Avalons

Mike
1. Western Electric 757 speakers in the Silbatone room
2. Daedalus speakers in the Galibier room with Serious Stereo amps
3. Volti Audio Vittora
Rgs92 - I've never been a huge fan of Wilson speakers, always found them a bit closed in somehow. I heard the Sashas in several rooms at RMAF and most sounded pretty good but the room with the Doshi electronics outshone them all IMO - really brought those Sashas to life.
Vapor1, you may have something very good here. Is this the first time that you had this particular speaker at a show? Nice of Steve to mention your speaker even though his room had the YG's as well.
Yep, someone who's opinion I respect immensely said Wilson finally got the Watt/Puppy right with the Sashas. I always thought the WP could be great if not for it's fatal flaws with rough sandpaper vocals and almost buzzy strings and over-jazzy brass. (I guess those are pretty big faults, though.)
So did the RMAF Sashas ameliorate those things?
Your experience with the Nolas mirrored mine exactly - sounded pretty fine from outside the room and with walking in - I even noted that it sounded nice - but then i sat down and the played some more tunes - an absolute bloody mess, almost unlistenable.

Also agree on the Totems - sounded spectacular with that Rogers (think that's what it was) tube amp. Interestingly, here in Toronto (their home country) they were demonstrating the exact same speakers with Bryston electronics and the sound was horrible.

As for the Sashas, I was surpised by them since other Wilson speakers don't usually move me. Thought they sounded best in that Doshi room - that certainly turned my head (never had heard of Doshi before and wasn't expecting much from the Wilsons).
I attended the demo....Cirrus was fantastic, and Ryan must have known by the smile on my face that he's going to have to build one more speaker this year.
Hey guys, I'm the owner of Vapor Audio. How about this for a testimonial by Steve Nugent of Emperical Audio:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78629.msg1011206#msg1011206
Agree on Vapor. Need more than one two people with one two posts behind them touting. Interesting if true.
I for one would like to hear more from the 20 other people that attended the after hours demo between Vapor Cirrus and YG Kipod II. Any long time active members that joined this event? Maybe someone who does not own the Vapor or who has not spoken about them in any threads? The Vapor appears to be built with some of the very best components and the cabinet looks extremely rigid. I would have thought if others felt that the $5500 stand mount competed with the 50k YG they would be spilling it here.
The TAD 3 way stand mounts. Sounded great. Around 37K. If I was in that range, I'd take a serious listen.
Were any vocals played on the Wilson Sasha's? How were they?
I always had problems with Watt/Puppy vocals (too mechanical).
Thanks.
I liked the Wilson Sasha that I heard. The nicest Wilson I've heard by far. Great dynamics and a very clear mid range presentation. Solid sound.

The Zellaton was quite a surprise. Very interesting drivers, and a pinpoint image. Great voicing with excellent transparency. Magico were very nice as well, but I'd have to give the edge to the Zellaton here.

Best bass by far was Danny Ritchie's OB servo subs. WOW.

Salk was incredibly dynamic, but the mids seemed just a tad recessed.

Totems sounded very good. I was pleasantly surprised.

The CBT array was amazing. Talk about a uniform, and crystalline presentation. I guess having that many drivers to share the load really offers the potential for very low distortion. They were integrated with a set of subs very well. Funky look, but the audio result was undeniable.

Lots of duds. Hated the huge Focals and Nola's. The Nolas are a simply dreadful mistake on every front, with the mini line of drivers aimed over the head of a seated listener . . . OOOOPS. Sounded promising as I walked into the room, but as soon as I sat down, all the life was gone from the music. For the Focals, it sounded bad even when walking in, and didn't improve when seated. To me, a wall of sound with poorly integrated but very capable drivers.

On a side note, I got to attend a listening session in the BPT room after hours. It was an A/B between the featured YG Acoustics Kipod II ($49,000) and the Vapor Cirrus ($5,500). For each of the 20 or so folks who were in the room over the next 45 minutes, the A/B was stark. How did the $5,500 system surpass the $49,000 system in every area but the deepest bass? When it came to transparency, imaging, sound stage size, the Cirrus dominated.

I want to hear those again!!
I never understand how, when listening to a new system in a new room, one can determine that one component in the system sounded great. I do understand, though, that we all tend to do this more with speakers than other components.
I really like the Element Fire Bookshelf Speaker at RMAF. It's new bass driver was absolutely amazing. The magnet in a sample, separate woofer felt like it weighed seven pounds.

The tweeter blended seamlessly with it. Totem claims no crossover, so both the treble and bass units are running full range. The speaker had a very dynamic, live quality (like an electrostat with weight). The only thing I didn't like was the price ($6k). Yeah, I know. I'm a cheapskate. It is a little easier paying that amount for a floor stander, but not much easier. I like the bookshelf speaker better than the floor stander in that Element series.
The new Totem Element line....any good?

Totems with bigger drivers than used historically sounds promising.
The Western's were very dynamic for what they were but run a cool 100k. Apparently there were either only twenty pairs or twenty speakers made as they were from the mono era but there are about 100 on the market.

Favorite current model was the TAD compact refs.
Hey, just glad to hear you were not hurt! Obviously, that's the important thing.

Not meant to be I suppose....maybe next year.

I hope to do it one of these years. I love the Rocky Mountains and the audio show is just enough extra reason to go.
Mapman,

To my sadness, I never made it to RMAF this year. I was supposed to attend, but on my way to the airport to leave for Denver, my Prius was rear-ended at fairly high speed by a Ford F350 pickup truck. (The driver had either fallen asleep at the wheel or was very distracted by something.) My car was totaled, but thank God I was unhurt, save for a few minor scrapes on my arms. My wife came to the scene of the accident and offered to take me to the airport to try to catch my plane to Denver, but with pieces of my car literally scattered on the road and as shaken as I was at that point, I just wasn't up to making the trip.

Hopefully, I'll make it next year!
German Physiks often shows at these events, don't they?

Not sure if anything really radically new there of late.

OHM relies on word of mouth from existing customers mostly for sales and has never done a show to the best of my knowledge.

Its the few upstart smaller companies that I know are out there that I am most interested in.

There is one company I heard of recently for the first time (name escapes me) that uses a Walsh style driver and digital signal processing together, which is a novel thing. They also let you custom decorate their synthetic cabinets using a wallpaper like approach as I recall which is also something a little different.