Best speaker on used market around 10,000.00

Owned a ton of speakers, looking for a speaker that has that visceral punch when needed was also won't rip your head off on the top end.
Smooth mids, big sound stage and punch.
Thanks Curleyques
curleyques

Showing 1 response by mechans

Speakers preferences are subjective by nature and unfortunately the only way to even get a less than ideal way to audition them in a variety of venues. The usual suspects are the few B&M stores, the big shows, other audio people's homes, free trial periods etc.
That said when you asked for visceral punch I thought of the classic brands like Cerwin Vega always a bass monster, JBL driven with adequate power etc. You know that the amp you use plays a very important role in determining which speaker you can use. If you use an amp capable of visceral power to pump up the punch that power amp is a is a prerequisite. Sweet high are also frequently an amp factor as well, Modern tube power amps are not the sloopy oozing blob of loopy sounding dark highs anymore. As an experienced audio guy I doubt that I am telling you something you didn't already know.
I will say in all seriousness that the Japanese speakers seem to be marking inroads, with better speakers and the highend JBL never let up although have yet to return to their former glory. Cerwin Vega is also still in business but I haven't heard one in years, the prices a right, that's for sure
Your asking the perrenial quest for many of us are trying to achieve. We want a big Krell KSA powering the woofers with their enormous current reserves and a tube amp, modern or even old style on top. Evidently this is easier said than donw requiring an external crossover. I suppose some really kick ass monitors with a musical fast subwoofer could do the trick just get a pair of subs to maintain the imaging in the relatively high frequences you are asking of your system.